Best way I've found yet to deal with snake problems!!

Pics
Well, I put an egg in it last night just for kicks and set it by the back door. Before I had a chance to place it it my infested area we got hit by a thunderstorm. This morning I went out to place it and it looks like I caught my bait, a frog. Hope it works!

How do you get the snakes out of the minnow traps? Especially if it is a copperhead don't want to touch any snake!!
sad.png
Thanks Ellen

I sent this to my friend who is a snake expert. She said this:

Yes, this is a really good way to catch snakes humanely (and safely). You don't need to bait them (notice that they caught copperheads, which do not eat eggs, so they were not attracted by the eggs). They tend to crawl along the sides of buildings, etc., so if you just put the traps along the buildings (and block the gap between the trap and the edge of the building), the snake will simply crawl up into the trap, and then can't find the exit. They will work their way around the edges trying to get out, and won't "think" to go up in the air to look for the hole. Researchers who study snakes make traps that are similar to this to catch their study animals. Sometimes you'll get small rodents and large spiders in there too.

She also said I should probably get some of these traps when my chickens start laying as I probably have snakes around anyway due to the horse feed and stuff; although if i catch a large spider, it's going straight to the chickens for disposal!!!​

I just ordered a minnow trap so I can try this. In response to those who are asking how to get the snake out of the trap, my intention is to shoot them with a .22 snake shot round and then take them out of the trap.

-S

Quote:
She also said I should probably get some of these traps when my chickens start laying as I probably have snakes around anyway due to the horse feed and stuff; although if i catch a large spider, it's going straight to the chickens for disposal!!!

Ewww... I HATE spiders!!! Snakes dont bug me.. but spiders *shivers*
th.gif

So I guess you have to take them out of the trap!! Are you releasing them or shooting them? The moth balls are the best way to keep them out of the coop, the smell is very strong I used a whole box and put them every where in the coop even up to the roof. I seen one come in from a tree and slither down from the roof, even squirrels come in thru the roof too many overlapping boards. I'm not releasing the snakes so they can come back for some more eggs, I will just keep using moth balls and my rifle when I catch them inside the coop.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom