Best way to keep mites and lice away!?

Bree801

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 25, 2012
Utah
I'm a newbie when it comes to raising chickens. My husband has been building the girls a chicken coop and will be done here in a few days and then we will be transferring the gals to the coop. One of the things that freaks me out is the mites and chicken lice. I've read stories where people have gotten the mites on them and came back into their house and eventually their whole house was contaminated with mites & were being bitten! Eeeek!!! So, my question is what can I do to try to ensure I do not have that problem? What are the best products? I want my chickens to be healthy and my family also to be protected and healthy.
Thanks
big_smile.png

I like to use diatomaceous earth in their dust baths. Also if you can keep the flying mice to a minimum. (sparrows) They carry the northern fowl mite.

Thanks Dkosh for the feed back
Are sparrows the only bird who carry bird mites? I have a lot of really big trees around my house and we have a whole ton of Robins, Doves, & these little black birds that live in them. I've read quiet a bit about DE I think I will try that for their dust baths. But is there anything I can use on a regular basis to keep the mites & lice from even getting into my coop at all? and on my girls?

Thanks

I sprinkle Sevin dust and DE in their coop litter and in all their favorite dust bathing areas so the girls basically treat themselves. I sprinkle new stuff about every week or 2.

I sprinkle Sevin dust and DE in their coop litter and in all their favorite dust bathing areas so the girls basically treat themselves. I sprinkle new stuff about every week or 2.

Have you ever had mite or lice problems while doing it that way?

I began the treatment after finding lice on my birds last year and using advice from this site. Since eradicating the bugs and using this preventative, I haven't seen one since. The DE can be sprinkled around the outside of the coop as well and really is a great preventative. Some folks use it around their vegetables to keep crawlies away.

I began the treatment after finding lice on my birds last year and using advice from this site. Since eradicating the bugs and using this preventative, I haven't seen one since. The DE can be sprinkled around the outside of the coop as well and really is a great preventative. Some folks use it around their vegetables to keep crawlies away.

Thanks so much for settling me nerves
yesss.gif
I will do that for sure.

Back
Top Bottom