best way to put a chick out of its miserey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man... i tried... i couldn't... the little guy was peeping and my heart broke... my parents saw me and told me killing a baby chick like that is like killing a human.... they told me to leave it in the garden so it can calm until a cat comes to eat it.... is that good?
No, that is not good. It is still killing it, but it's not humane and it's not fast. No offense, but it's the coward's way out. Glad you took it to the vet. You did the right thing. If you can't put it down, find someone who can.

Edit- I didn't realize the vet was closed. You will need to put it down or find someone who can.

I have unfortunately had to put down a few in my life. In my mind pellet or by gun to head is quickest way, and I know they don't feel anything. Granted it's a chick so they do spasm a bit after just from reflexes, but I know once its shot its gone and didn't feel it. Please don't starve it. Just a quick put down is most humane
He doesn't want to kill it he wants it to suffer and torture it, aren't you following along? :rant

He doesn't want to kill it he wants it to suffer and torture it, aren't you following along? :rant
Im not trying to torture anything.... im trying to end it but i simply just cant... i tried going to the vet and it was closed... i tried to put scissors but i just couldn't i asked my parents and they denied..... if i was trying to torture the chick i wouldn't have posted this yelling for help.... you are so mean...

You sound pretty young, I don't think I would've been able to cut a chick's head off when I was younger either. I wasn't raised around poultry. I think learning that ending a life the humane way vs. suffering comes with experience.

:hugs
Do not let her slowly starve to death. That's not a good choice.
You could try this method.

Im not trying to torture anything.... im trying to end it but i simply just cant... i tried going to the vet and it was closed... i tried to put scissors but i just couldn't i asked my parents and they denied..... if i was trying to torture the chick i wouldn't have posted this yelling for help.... you are so mean...
Can you try the method above? Doesn't involve any chopping of heads, and painless for the chick. We have used something similar before and it went well. The chick just goes to sleep peacefully and does not wake up.

PLEASE do not listen to your family if they tell you to leave it outside and let it starve/get eaten by a cat. That is the cruelest thing you can do to a baby animal.

Last edited:
You sound pretty young, I don't think I would've been able to cut a chick's head off when I was younger either. I wasn't raised around poultry. I think learning that ending a life the humane way vs. suffering comes with experience.

It's never easy the first time. Sometimes it never gets easy. Still no point it having an animal suffer when there is no cause to make it suffer. Being responsible for an animals well being sometimes means you have to be responsible for putting it out of it's misery. You are responsible for doing what is best for that animal whatever it takes.

Can you try the method above? Doesn't involve any chopping of heads, quick and painless for the chick. We have used something similar before and it went well. The chick just goes to sleep peacefully and does not wake up.

PLEASE do not listen to your family if they tell you to leave it outside and let it starve/get eaten by a cat. That is the cruelest thing you can do to a baby animal.
Ok ok im gonna do it.......... lemme find a plastic container... be right back

Can you try the method above? Doesn't involve any chopping of heads, relatively quick and very painless for the chick. We have used something similar before and it went well. The chick just goes to sleep peacefully and does not wake up.

can i put baking soda and white vinegar instead of starting fluid? i dont have that

It's never easy the first time. Sometimes it never gets easy. Still no point it having an animal suffer when there is no cause to make it suffer. Being responsible for an animals well being sometimes means you have to be responsible for putting it out of it's misery. You are responsible for doing what is best for that animal whatever it takes.
Oh, absolutely. It seems like the OP is really young, this sounds like a life lesson for them. It can be rough and I can understand not wanting to do something that has to be done. The method Dobielover posted seems best to start with.

Oh, absolutely. It seems like the OP is really young, this sounds like a life lesson for them. It can be rough and I can understand not wanting to do something that has to be done. The method Puffypoo posted seems best to start with.
im 15 years old... and ive never hurt an ant... let alone kill a fluffy friend :hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom