best way to put a chick out of its miserey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, absolutely. It seems like the OP is really young, this sounds like a life lesson for them. It can be rough and I can understand not wanting to do something that has to be done. The method Puffypoo posted seems best to start with.

I got that too. I grew up on a farm and know I'm heartless. It wasn't nothing for me to go out with a hatchet when I was 8 and kill a chicken for my granny. I've helped butcher cows I helped bottle feed. Just too much disconnect today with people and doing the correct things vs what makes them feel good.

You might get more responses in the emergency section on how to cull without cutting the head off.

Specifically this variation of the method:

"If the animal is too active, or you can't obtain the materials needed for the above procedure, you could put the animal in a small cage, a travel cage, or box with holes in it. Put about 1 and a half cups of baking soda in the bottom of a large plastic bag. Put the cage or box into the bag raised about 4 inches above the bottom. Open a gallon jug of vinegar and reach into the bag with it. You might want to put a barrier between the cage and jug so none can accidentally be spilled into the cage. Gather up as much of the plastic as you can around your arm so that as much air has been removed as possible and tie or hold the bag about your arm tightly. Slowly pour out the vinegar so that about a quarter of it has been poured out over a period of about 1 minute (or until the volume of the bag has inflated so it is about 1/3 larger than it was). Set the jug down inside the bag and fan the air with your hand to mix air and CO2 for about 1 minute. Then loosen the bag around your arm a bit to allow gas to escape, and continue to pour the vinegar out until the jug is empty. Remove your arm and close the bag. Wait at least 10-30 minutes before checking to verify death. As mentioned, one problem with this procedure is that the fizzing might frighten the animal."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom