Best way to raise this coop

WIchickMama

Free Ranging
Aug 15, 2021
Western WI
I was offered this coop (Free!!!), which needs only a little work-door and window replace/fix and some trim/siding added. It is already wired and has built in boxes. Would need wider roosting bars as the one in there is only 2 inches. I would love to put some bantams in it or a few hens-it is a 5x5

What would be the best way to raise this coop off the ground? Or do I not need to?

Attachments

• 20210918_121621.jpg
    20210918_121621.jpg
    850.8 KB · Views: 5
Great thanks! I just didn't know if wood or blocks was best. We built our current one on treated and sealed pallets.

Not a lot of wind and will be up against a barn but maybe some pooling of water when the snow melts ;)

Anyone have suggestions/wins or losses with raising coops high enough for chickens to be able to walk and hang out underneath?

If you raise it off the ground as a space for chickens to roam it is best to have sufficient height for a person to get under. While it is not often there will be occasions when you need to retrieve something or clean out.

Mine is 3 feet at it's lowest, access is easy. I use it as part of the run.

Great thanks! I just didn't know if wood or blocks was best. We built our current one on treated and sealed pallets.

Not a lot of wind and will be up against a barn but maybe some pooling of water when the snow melts ;)

Anyone have suggestions/wins or losses with raising coops high enough for chickens to be able to walk and hang out underneath?
Is this a walk-in coop? If so I wouldn't raise it at all. You would then need stairs to get in it for cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom