Best way to store eggs?

misslys15

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 9, 2014
What is the best way to store eggs? I only have 3 layers at the moment, so the eggs are just collected in our hands or pockets, rinsed off a bit with water, then put into the carton in the fridge. We eat a lot of eggs, so they're never around for more than a couple days anyway (I hear they don't last as long refrigerated). But we have 6 new pullets, 3 Golden Comets, which are supposed to lay extra large eggs very often, and 3 Tetra Tints, which I believe is another good laying breed, so when they start laying, I think we'll have to find a better way to store eggs. What's the deal with storing them unrefrigerated? How long do they last that way? I have heard of people dating their eggs, but I have read that the shells are porous and anything on them gets absorbed (which is why we are careful about not rinsing our eggs too much), so I am guessing they aren't marking them with a Sharpie or anything. What is the best way of storing eggs and keeping track of how fresh they are?

I would just label the cartons. However, a crayon would probably work better than a sharpie for the egg shells (non toxic). For long term storage, coat the eggs with mineral oil or vaseline and store in a cool place (refrigeration not needed). They'll last 1-3 months that way. For long term storage [survival], use sodium silicate (waterglass). Eggs will stay fresh for 6-24 months this way. Their texture may be affected, but the taste is not. My great-grandmother did this, but it's a forgotten art.

What is the best way to store eggs? I only have 3 layers at the moment, so the eggs are just collected in our hands or pockets, rinsed off a bit with water, then put into the carton in the fridge. We eat a lot of eggs, so they're never around for more than a couple days anyway (I hear they don't last as long refrigerated). But we have 6 new pullets, 3 Golden Comets, which are supposed to lay extra large eggs very often, and 3 Tetra Tints, which I believe is another good laying breed, so when they start laying, I think we'll have to find a better way to store eggs. What's the deal with storing them unrefrigerated? How long do they last that way? I have heard of people dating their eggs, but I have read that the shells are porous and anything on them gets absorbed (which is why we are careful about not rinsing our eggs too much), so I am guessing they aren't marking them with a Sharpie or anything. What is the best way of storing eggs and keeping track of how fresh they are?

Eggs have a bloom or natural coating on them that helps guard against bacteria. We do not wash our eggs and merely wipe eggs that are dirty and store them in the fridge or wine cooler. Keeping eggs cool will greatly slow bacteria from getting inside the egg. Since we collect a couple dozen eggs per day we simply store cartons in a sequence according to age. The cartons can be dated if you wish. We sell or eat eggs collected within a few weeks of being collected. No way would I eat or sell eggs that are several months old regardless of how they are stored or chemically treated!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom