Best way to trap nuisance neighborhood Chihuahuas

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Jul 23, 2017
Deep South Texas Laureles,TX 10A
In my neighborhood I believe we are the only family that believes in vaccinating/spay neuter, and preventatives for heartworms/fleas/Ticks. I have neighbors who refuse to keep their anials on their side of the fence and their cheeky chihuahuas keep coming over even though my dogs are trained to run them off to their side of the fence without harming them.

I have rescued plenty of pups from their property who escape over in the night in the past and parasite loads were excessive all were coccidia positive, loads of other parasites too and about a 50% parvo positive rate.

Recently, when my lab has been stalking her fence line for those cheeky buggers I have noticed an uptick in the neighbor using fireworks. So thinking to fix that issue I plan on trapping his animals and turning them over to ACO. My fence is secured for my dogs. Neighbor doesn't own one and has never bothered to try and keep his animals contained(even after knowing I have rescued and rehomed 5 of his animals in the past(3 that he knows of).

I would hate to loose a chicken to his free ranging animals and would be using that as the basis for contacting ACO. I know that in summer offering a trap with food and water is all the bait needed).

I think your best bet is to use a live trap. I'm not fond of chihuahuas, but it's not right that they should be caused harm by any other kind of trap. I'd also be tempted to drive to a shelter far, far away, but that would probably be cost prohibitive. I think some shelters charge for taking an animal. I don't really know. My neighbors are far enough away that their animals aren't a problem for me.

I think your best bet is to use a live trap. I'm not fond of chihuahuas, but it's not right that they should be caused harm by any other kind of trap. I'd also be tempted to drive to a shelter far, far away, but that would probably be cost prohibitive. I think some shelters charge for taking an animal. I don't really know. My neighbors are far enough away that their animals aren't a problem for me.
Yes my plan is to use live traps, I'll also explain targeting raccoon and possums, but offer him a final notice that should I trap any other animals(dogs/cats) they are all going to animal control and where regardless of if I know who the owner is or not.

I think I will comparison shop a local feed store and TSC. TSC wanted 70 for the last ones I saw there for what look like 30 dollar traps to my eye.

I'm thinking I need to invest in a pitchfork as well for safely dispatching any raccoon/possums.
Apparently you don't' own a firearm... I wouldn't go near a cornered grown raccoon with a pitchfork. Have you ever seen a raccoon that's feeling cornered? They are all teeth, snarling, growling, snapping... Noooope! Don't want to go there. If you don't have a firearm and decide to purchase one to rid yourself of predators, please go to a firearm safety class to learn how to properly use one.

Apparently you don't' own a firearm... I wouldn't go near a cornered grown raccoon with a pitchfork. Have you ever seen a raccoon that's feeling cornered? They are all teeth, snarling, growling, snapping... Noooope! Don't want to go there. If you don't have a firearm and decide to purchase one to rid yourself of predators, please go to a firearm safety class to learn how to properly use one.
Former military and grew up a rural Texan, think I have the gun safety covered=) I was just reviewing the legal requirements for my State as well and can take them on my property at any time. Just can't sell or trade their pelts.

edit- foot shares aren't expensive I'm thinking that will be the go to for the raccoon/possums.

Former military and grew up a rural Texan, think I have the gun safety covered=) I was just reviewing the legal requirements for my State as well and can take them on my property at any time. Just can't sell or trade their pelts.
Yep, I think you've got it covered! :) I have just read too many posts from people who have NO IDEA how to use firearms, or where they should or shouldn't be using them. I grew up hunting, was one of two girls in my firearm safety class (way more years ago than I want to admit), and still like to hunt.

What about calling your ACO and getting them involved in dealing with the neighborhood ankle biters? However, if you are of the opinion (and it sounds like that is the case) that going that route would rile the neighbors into violence, perhaps your current plan is the best. Simply trap them and drop them off at animal shelter as a stray. But that may not be an option for you. Here, I don't think that I could drop off a stray at the shelter. It would have to be filtered through ACO.

We just paid about $43 for a large, live trap that can be used on raccoons/opossums ::: chihuahuas::: on Amazon.

Might I make a suggestion. Prepare a nicely, well worded letter that you can pass out to ALL of your neighbors. In it, state your intentions on protecting your self and your property, and what steps you plan on taking if the conditions you list are violated. Make sure AT LEAST 1 or 2 other neighbors gets a copy of the letter, so that the one jerk who's actually creating all the issues, cannot come back and say you have been targeting them. You'll have proof they weren't being targeted as you've given the intention letter to *all* the neighbors close by.

Back
Top Bottom