Best way to trim quail toenails & beaks? Share your advice & stories!

I have the same issue and I have a cinder block in there but they seem to want to poop on it and sleep in it more than they want to wear their beaks and claws down :idunno. It is a struggle here lol. Do you have any other suggestions for this?
Yes, I used to have something similar in their enclosure but they never used it for the intended purpose.

For mine, they get that poop stuck right up in their toe nails and we have to soak their poor little feet to get the gross stuff off. Letting them stand in a very shallow puddle of (warm maybe?) water for like 5 min seems to do the trick for mine. We don't even have to dig it out it just sorta dissolves (thankfully haha).
Do they fear the water?

Do they fear the water?
Mine don't fear the water (I think) but you just put them in a plastic tub or something that holds water with walls and they just chill in there. Mine go to sleep occasionally. I think they might actually enjoy it (some of them) lol. When it's their first time in the water there is a little panic but they are usually troopers and don't fly out, usually lol. I put waaay less than an inch of water so it just covers their feet. If you put more then they get their feathers get wet so I put in very little.

Mine don't fear the water (I think) but you just put them in a plastic tub or something that holds water with walls and they just chill in there. Mine go to sleep occasionally. I think they might actually enjoy it (some of them) lol. When it's their first time in the water there is a little panic but they are usually troopers and don't fly out, usually lol. I put waaay less than an inch of water so it just covers their feet. If you put more then they get their feathers get wet so I put in very little.
Your quail sound calmer than mine. I don't think mine would ever go to sleep while stepping in water. But I will probably try it next time.

The coturnix quail toenail/beak trimming today did not go so well. They develop these hard balls of debris/poop on their toes, and their feet are so delicate that completely removing these balls isn't really realistic, at least with the tools I have. The quicks in their nails were longer than expected, too, and one of them is still bleeding from somewhere. :hmm Beak trimming is tricky as well--my quail are all terrified of humans.

Is this a problem for you? What tools do you recommend for beak/toenail trimming? How do you keep them from developing the balls of debris on their toes, and is there a way to keep them more calm during these procedures? Advice about anything stated above would be appreciated, and feel free to share your quail stories as well!
Hi, i hope you realise that if a quail is noticeably bleeding that much it can actually bleed out and die, you need try stem the blood flow asap as they don't have a great deal of it.. You can use a tissue and apply firm pressure to point of bleeding (not too hard though) As for feet and poo lumps, if you keep a decent amt of sand in bottom of cage it wont happen, all mine have never had that problem but if you do is best as someone else suggested, soak their lil feet in luke warm water for a good 5 mins before even trying to remove as you could do damage otherwise. Now for the beak, that can be tricky but I'd take to an avain vet for initial trim due to the blood vessel doovey as you dont want to be nicking that or they will bleed profusely. Maintaining beaks i keep a small piece of burnt log/wood with the charcoal on it still or get cuttlefish from beach (need to be boiled first to remove all the salt and then dried) but in general any decent branch of natural wood will help do the trick as they will clean beaks and peck away at it. You can also leave a dish of shell grit in there too , not only good for egg shells but keeping beaks clean and kept naturally worn back to avoid overgrowing. Hope this helps a little

I put the water on a cinder block, and a brick in front of it like a step, they need to stand on the brick to reach the water, so they wear down their nails just by getting a drink. Ive never needed to give a beak trim, mine peck at everything, and it isnt uncommon to see a bit of a jagged tip because they broke a small piece off, I think once they chip a bit off is when they start rubbing rocks and wood to smooth it again. They’ve never over grown or broken enough off to cause pain or bleeding. just leave stuff around and they’ll use it when nature tells them to.

Back
Top Bottom