Best wormer

This is a very controversial topic on here. Have done a fecal float test yet to see what your trying to kill? Some use herbal deworming because they can still eat the eggs instead of having to throw them away for three weeks after. Others use chemical deworming because it’s more of a sure fire way to kill the worms.

What is the herbal method?

We just moved from AZ to PA and so far I have had to treat for lice and now today noticed scaly leg mites. I gave one a bath and left him roam the house till he dried (I have silkies) and his poops were weird looking. I just want to cover everything to make sure they are healthy. They are staying in the basement till I get the coop together.

Most worms or worm larvae cannot be seen without a microscope, except for the occasional roundworm or more rarely, tapeworms. Tapeworms do not affect most chickens. Valbazen and SafeGuard are 2 good wormers used in chickens. They have to be given orally to each chicken. I use Valbazen 1/2 tsp for a 5 pound chicken given once and then in 10 days to get the worms eggs. SafeGuard dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given once and again in 10 days for round worms and cecal worms. Give it for 5 consecutive days for those plus capillary and gapeworms. Neither mixes in water, and must be fiven orally to each chicken. Shake them well.

Last edited:
Everything Eggcessive said is true, however, I'm not entirely sure that "weird poops" are not an indication of cocccidiosis, in which case Corid would be the correct treatment choice. Again, pictures would be very helpful.

What is the herbal method?

We just moved from AZ to PA and so far I have had to treat for lice and now today noticed scaly leg mites. I gave one a bath and left him roam the house till he dried (I have silkies) and his poops were weird looking. I just want to cover everything to make sure they are healthy. They are staying in the basement till I get the coop together.
Go to Molly’s Herbals’s...she lists dewormer for all kinds of animals...it vacant even be used on dogs and cats. Remember..it’s not full proof. But, I choose it because I have a full farm and I can use one dewormer for everyone and keep it less complicated. Plus, I love the idea of not losing eggs. I was pointed to it from someone on here who swears by by it for years. I understand covering everything..that’s what my hubby wanted to do also because we got our older chickens from a bad farmer who neglected them, and we figured they had never been dewormed. I am happy to say they are very healthy and in post fecal floats, there have been no worms. But..by no means am I trying to sway you..or am I trying to het into a heated discussion about this. I am new to chickens. This was a recommendation to me..I made a choice and have liked it. I hope you have luck too! And welcome to PA..that’s where I am!

Back
Top Bottom