Beta Rooster Habits and Quality of Life

Cochins are naturally timid. A couple years ago I got a 6 month old bantam Cochin cockerel named Carl and almost everyone bullied him, and btw, he was the only male. At the time I was letting them free range, and when he was about a year old, Carl disappeared. I think they drove him away and he was likely taken by a predator. I don't really know what happened to poor Carl. I feel I put him in harm's way by mixing him with more aggressive breed hens.
Aww that's so sad, I'm sorry that happened. I love the breed so much; they are super sweet!

I had similar issues and decided to separate the problem roo from the rest of the flock. It did not go well and actually made things worse! I put him in a large kennel, but still in the coop and visible to the rest of the flock and when I decided to let him rejoin everyone we nearly had a bloodbath. He was immediately rushed by the other (usually timid) Roo and I thought I would never get them separated. We ended up rehoming him because we saw no way to make it work while giving both roosters a good quality of life.
I'm glad you were able to rehome him!

I would keep Barry as he seems to be healthy, accepted by the hens and in charge. And he is gorgeous!

A cockerel that is behaving (and looking) the way Ezra does and/or is described would lead me to think that he might have some health issues whether innate or acquired.

Back
Top Bottom