• betta

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • beta

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • doesn't really matter/don't care

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Pics
They can go without ( labyrinth ) ( They gulp air. ) a filter with frequent water changes or you can add a small filter depending on the size of your tank . I have kept them both ways and have had them breed . They build a bubble nest and it don't take long for the eggs to hatch the fry are micro and need infusoria cultures made ahead of time . I used15 1 " pieces of timothy hay in 1/2 qt. of water to start my cultures . Don't let them fool you when the fry hatch they often try to out them back in the nest .

They can go without ( labyrinth ) ( They gulp air. ) a filter with frequent water changes or you can add a small filter depending on the size of your tank . I have kept them both ways and have had them breed . They build a bubble nest and it don't take long for the eggs to hatch the fry are micro and need infusoria cultures made ahead of time . I used15 1 " pieces of timothy hay in 1/2 qt. of water to start my cultures . Don't let them fool you when the fry hatch they often try to out them back in the nest .
It looks like they are eating them but they are only trying to put them back in the nest .

It is a possibility that I may get a betta fish. I am adding up costs and when I try to find a filter I see a lot of filter cartridges or refills but very few actual filters. What filters have you had success with for your betta?
Since you say "A Beta".. does that mean male?

What kind of aquarium will you be using?

When I was young.. we kept male Betta just by doing partial water changes in smaller bowls, etc... Not perfectly ideal.. but we never had issues keeping them alive or healthy, taken the right precautions... But in a large enough aquarium they CAN live with other fish.

So cost can be minimal all the way to WOW you really like that hobby $$$$+ !

Do you have a budget in mind? Fish are fun animals and it can be simple or complex depending on how your interest grows. :)

ETA: although they can gulp air.. it's best to keep water fresh and oxygenated if possible.

Since you say "A Beta".. does that mean male?

What kind of aquarium will you be using?

When I was young.. we kept male Betta just by doing partial water changes in smaller bowls, etc... Not perfectly ideal.. but we never had issues keeping them alive or healthy, taken the right precautions... But in a large enough aquarium they CAN live with other fish.

So cost can be minimal all the way to WOW you really like that hobby $$$$+ !

Do you have a budget in mind? Fish are fun animals and it can be simple or complex depending on how your interest grows. :)

ETA: although they can gulp air.. it's best to keep water fresh and oxygenated if possible.
Is a 10 gallon tank too big for one? That's what I was thinking I might use. Do females need other fish with them? I was thinking male. I was thinking a beta because they are beautiful and you only need one. I don't have a budget in mind-this is still all theoretical. Parents said that they are open to the possibility of a beta fish or a hermit crab if I'm the one paying for EVERYTHING, including continued foot and maintenance, which I haven't done before. I'd be doing all the care, obviously. My current budget is that I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money while putting together a good habitat for betta or hermit crab-because there's no set timeframe on this, the I can probably save up a good deal of money.

I wouldn't be having them breed. I'd have one in a 10 gallon tank-is that too big or small for one?

I wouldn't be having them breed. I'd have one in a 10 gallon tank-is that too big or small for one?
Oh , I see, that 10 gallon is nice because you can get plexiglass partitions( Lowes) and have a few more than you expected but be warned they can be addicting and the next thing you know you will want to breed them . It is amazing to watch they are the first egg layers I ever breed .

They are beautiful, wavy and dreamy, incredibly graceful. They deserve to come with their own background music.

A ten gallon tank certainly sounds like a huge improvement over the little round vases you see them in sometimes. But if you have more than one male, they fight, right? Is a single fish in a tank happy being by itself?
When I looked it up it said that for each beta you need at least 5 gallons, but after my poor chickie babies had to live in a tiny coop, my goal is that all of my pets have more space than they need. (they've moved coops to a palace don't worry). After some very quick googling, female betas lack the 'wow' factor with the fancy long fins and tails. Apparently betas are happy on their own with lots of enrichment-lots of caves and things to hid in, go through, and swim around.

Back
Top Bottom