• betta

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • beta

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • doesn't really matter/don't care

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Pics
It looks like my local pet store has anubias and java fern. What do you think of moneywort and water wisteria? (*picks the most aesthetically pleasing plants at pet store* lol)

It depends on the type of light you have. If you get the nicrew light I mentioned earlier, then you should be able to grow them.
Moneywort is a type of Bacopa, which I'm not a huge fan of. Algae often grows on them, and they're just a pain in the butt.
Water wisteria is nice. I have water sprite (which is similar) in my 20 gallon community tank, and it grows pretty well.
One of my favorite plants is Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus (another weird name for you :)). If you have high light, it will grow like a weed.

It looks like my local pet store has anubias and java fern. What do you think of moneywort and water wisteria? (*picks the most aesthetically pleasing plants at pet store* lol)

Java fern is good--drop it into the tank and don't bother to think about it again. No fertilizer needed, does fine with low levels of light, grows slowly but does grow. Those things that look like roots are not really roots, so don't try to put them in the gravel. You can wrap them around a rock or piece of gravel or glass, to keep the plant from floating around.

Another really easy one is java moss--looks like fluffy moss, you can usually buy a small portion online cheaply, it does not grow roots, and it also does not need any special attention. You can wrap it around rocks or sticks or something to keep it in one place, or just drop it in. It will sometimes send out slender bits going somewhere, other times it grows in a fluffier form with more branches.

I would definitely start with java fern, and maybe java moss, if you just want things that do well without fiddling.

Or else try plants with no fish at all for a few months, and add the fish after the plants are doing well.

Healthy plants are good for fish, but if a plant dies and starts to rot in the tank, that's bad for the fish. Plants are most likely to die in the first few weeks after you move them, but once they are doing well they usually keep doing well.

Java fern is good--drop it into the tank and don't bother to think about it again. No fertilizer needed, does fine with low levels of light, grows slowly but does grow. Those things that look like roots are not really roots, so don't try to put them in the gravel. You can wrap them around a rock or piece of gravel or glass, to keep the plant from floating around.

Another really easy one is java moss--looks like fluffy moss, you can usually buy a small portion online cheaply, it does not grow roots, and it also does not need any special attention. You can wrap it around rocks or sticks or something to keep it in one place, or just drop it in. It will sometimes send out slender bits going somewhere, other times it grows in a fluffier form with more branches.

I would definitely start with java fern, and maybe java moss, if you just want things that do well without fiddling.

Or else try plants with no fish at all for a few months, and add the fish after the plants are doing well.

Healthy plants are good for fish, but if a plant dies and starts to rot in the tank, that's bad for the fish. Plants are most likely to die in the first few weeks after you move them, but once they are doing well they usually keep doing well.
It takes a few weeks for the tank to do the cycle thingy as well, right? I'm thinking that maybe plants with no fish would be good for a while because I could get the plants set up and the cycle thingy with the nitrites and a nitrates could be good before putting a fish in.

It takes a few weeks for the tank to do the cycle thingy as well, right? I'm thinking that maybe plants with no fish would be good for a while because I could get the plants set up and the cycle thingy with the nitrites and a nitrates could be good before putting a fish in.

Yes, that's a good point. The plants can be getting established while the tank is being cycled.

Back
Top Bottom