BEWARE of Leggs Peafowl

PoultryFanatic22

Songster
5 Years
May 8, 2018
California
First and foremost this post is not to bash Brad Legg and Legg’s Peafowl Farm. In my previous posts I never mentioned his name or where I purchased my birds because I wanted to give him a chance to address the issue. However I am writing this so no one has to go through what I have purchasing from him and so that people are aware of his poor breeding practices.

I had purchased 8 day old peachicks back in 2020 from him. I got 2 cameos from the bunch, one cock and one hen. A few months ago I started noticed the cameo cock starting to turn white. His behavior started changing as well and something definitely didn’t seem right.

I reached out to the folks on here for some advice/ info and it turns out my beloved cameo cock named “Brock” was indeed not doing well. He has since then turned white and has completely lost his vision. This has been DEVASTATING for me to say the least. Raising him since day 1, I have grown extremely attached to not only him but the rest of my peas. They truly hold a special place in my heart!

I reached out to Brad about this issue and after weeks and multiple emails going back and forth saying he will email me back with an answer soon, he finally responds with:

“It's just a defect in the color mutation. Sorry this happened to anyone but it's just a fact. Day old chicks packages are live guaranteed through the post upon arrival. Nothing further.”

I did ask him what he plans to do with his breeding stock now that this problem has come to his attention but that was completely ignored and not addressed at all. From what I gather Brad does not care about his customers, let alone the well being of his birds. It’s clear he’s only interested in making money, because the responsible thing to do would be to figure out which of his breeders carry this gene and stop using them. By not doing so he is obviously perpetuating this problem.

Being so well known in Peafowl world I would have never expected something like this from him. I certainly will not be purchasing any birds from him in the future. Nor would I recommend anyone else to. I would HATE for someone to experience what I have while dealing with him.

The GOOD news is that Brock is doing well and seems to have the will to live! He has figured out how to eat and drink all on his own. I keep him in a pen by himself with his food and water in the same place. He does enjoy spending supervised time roaming around and sun bathing! He is definitely a fighter.

8CF86983-D697-4599-9715-8D2E6B2EC665.jpeg

I'm really sorry this happened. It's really too bad all around. :(
Thanks for an honest review.
I was interested in Cameos but after your first post from before I decided in the future to avoid them. The information in that post was helpful.
He's a beautiful bird, even with his defects.
It reminds me of when you buy a purebred cat or dog for over $1000 and then are told you are not allowed to breed them. Like, I could have gotten a cheap cat or dog just to get it fixed. :rolleyes: I don't have a breeding facility, but it would have been nice to have gotten a litter of babies from them.
So now you can't and shouldn't breed your male, and that is sad.

I'm really sorry this happened. It's really too bad all around. :(
Thanks for an honest review.
I was interested in Cameos but after your first post from before I decided in the future to avoid them. The information in that post was helpful.
He's a beautiful bird, even with his defects.
It reminds me of when you buy a purebred cat or dog for over $1000 and then are told you are not allowed to breed them. Like, I could have gotten a cheap cat or dog just to get it fixed. :rolleyes: I don't have a breeding facility, but it would have been nice to have gotten a litter of babies from them.
So now you can't and shouldn't breed your male, and that is sad.
I’m glad it was able to help you out. I definitely will not be breeding from him. Even if I wanted to, the other peas are so mean to him and want nothing to do with the poor guy. Plus he can’t see and wouldn’t be able to even go through with the process. I think nature definitely has its own way of dealing with these issues and making sure they aren’t passed along.

I’m hoping and praying the cameo hen (Cheyenne) doesn’t develop the same issues. She is definitely a character and couldn’t imagine losing her.

Is that what they call 'pied progressive '?
He seems young to me and already very white!
The 'pied progressive ' ends not so white!
I’m not sure if he is a pied progressive but yes he is still young. He will be 2 this spring. He changed from a normal colored cameo to white in a span of about 4/5 months. I still don’t think he’s done changing because he is still replacing the brown feathers with white.

This is a lethal gene that has cropped up in cameo, purple, bronze, and opal. It's a mark of bad breeding. Birds such as this should never be bred as they are rarely successful breeders and usually die young.
What is the lethal gene? Is it in all Cameos, Opals, and Purples? Or just some? Is there any way to know a breeder has this gene in their peafowl? Or is it something that just shows up at random?
Sorry for all the questions, but the three colors I am interested in are Cameo, Opal, and Purple. All three you have stated have this lethal gene.

What is the lethal gene? Is it in all Cameos, Opals, and Purples? Or just some? Is there any way to know a breeder has this gene in their peafowl? Or is it something that just shows up at random?
Sorry for all the questions, but the three colors I am interested in are Cameo, Opal, and Purple. All three you have stated have this lethal gene.
It's not in all cameos, opals, and purples it kind of just shows up randomly but birds that exhibit the gene should never be bred. There is no way to know whether a bird carries the gene or not but good breeders will remove birds that carry the gene if it shows itself.

It's not in all cameos, opals, and purples it kind of just shows up randomly but birds that exhibit the gene should never be bred. There is no way to know whether a bird carries the gene or not but good breeders will remove birds that carry the gene if it shows itself.

I never heard of a lethal gene in Peafowl. This had me a bit spooked as the three colors I am interested in were listed. I was looking at Mr. Legg's birds, but think I will look and research for other sources for what I want.

Back
Top Bottom