Big girls, but what mix?

Goosegrrl

Songster
8 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Central FL
I've got these two girls, slow growing but VERY large and VERY heavy. Very beefy build, large thick legs. Appear to be dominant red barred/brindle. The came from a mixed lot of chicks I got last year. BYM I guess. I think they are about 5 months.
I've not seen a mix myself that would produce red barred pullets. No eggs yet, slow to mature. But I really like them and am curious on opinions on the mix.
FB_IMG_1705431402480.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1705431391425.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705431391425.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 15
They look like they are either Bielefelders with light coloring or Bielefelder mixes. "Brindle" is not a color in chickens as far as I know-I have never heard that term used for a color and don't believe it exists. Crele is the color of your chickens.

They look like they are either Bielefelders with light coloring or Bielefelder mixes. "Brindle" is not a color in chickens as far as I know-I have never heard that term used for a color and don't believe it exists. Crele is the color of your chickens.
I really think they are too red, and too large, to be bielefelder. But mix is a possibility I guess.
This link shows where I found ref to brindle. A European? Site that has info on hybrid layers. But those are also a smaller bird.

They could be some kind of Freedom Rangers.
I feel like maybe FR is a best guess due to their sheer size.
I have a roo that is red/blue with baring (bielefelder x blue copper marans) that I may put over them(if they lay pretty well) too see if I can make more with similar looks. Not at all sure about maintaining the size though. They are just super chill big ladies. Bigger than my Black JG hens.

I really think they are too red, and too large, to be bielefelder. But mix is a possibility I guess.
This link shows where I found ref to brindle. A European? Site that has info on hybrid layers. But those are also a smaller bird.
Bielefelders are a dual-purpose breed that was bred for both outstanding egg production and meat production, so you can expect them to be heavier than your average chicken. I do agree with you on the part that their coloring is a bit incorrect, though. The only way they could be a Bielefelder is if they are hatchery quality (which means poor quality).

I'm not familiar with the coloring of the actual freedom Rangers, but we had some that were a type of Red Ranger that had that appearance. The ones I had were male, but I did get a few pullets with that coloring in the next generation when crossed with my laying hens.

I'm not familiar with the coloring of the actual freedom Rangers, but we had some that were a type of Red Ranger that had that appearance. The ones I had were male, but I did get a few pullets with that coloring in the next generation when crossed with my laying hens.
We're they also very large?
I've never had any of the "rangers" which are supposed to be a Cx alternative. These girls are still pullets and as large or larger than my black JG hens. Just heavier in the way they are built all over. And I do like a big solid hen.

Back
Top Bottom