What breed might this mystery pullet be?

labelo

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2023
I've been having fun getting to know my parents' new chickens. A while back their neighbors got some sexed, day old chicks from the mixed bin at a feed store. This one was always bigger than the others and developed a red comb ~8 weeks, so they thought it might be a cockerel, and gave it to my parents, who don't have any roos. I kind of wonder if she was an older chick who got mixed in with the day olds? At ~17 weeks I think we can pretty solidly say she's a pullet.

Any guesses on breed? That's a Buff Orpington in the background for color reference (she's quite a bit smaller than the orpington, slightly smaller than the Barred Rocks her age). Legs are white like the Buff Orpington, but with a couple of feathers on them. I thought maybe a Red Star or Cinnamon Queen, but would they have white legs?

First photo is ~2-3 weeks old, other photos are ~17 weeks.

eeOUnES.jpg

xOIsfZa.jpg

yIwYssB.jpg

QHZrucH.jpg

The only other thing I can think of is olive egger, but I doubt it. Usually cuckoo or black copper Marans are used to make those, not wheaten.
Hmm. Looks like Meyer did have some Wheaten Olive Eggers this year, so it's possible? Guess the egg will tell either way!

Back
Top Bottom