Big, hard yellow scab on my chicken's stomach

NatureGirl74

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
I was dusting my chickens this morning and found a big scab on my chicken's stomach. It's about the size of a nickel. She is a 2 year old Black sex link. She also has a bald spot about the same size on her side. I have another bird who is missing all of the feathers on his chest and the front of his neck. Any ideas on what they are, and how we can help her?
IMG_20220503_110533.jpg
IMG_20220503_110200.jpg

It looks like some sort of infection, hurt mark, or something caused by a parasite...Give her some extra vitamins, keep her clean, and watch it. See if anything else happens to it, happens to another chicken, possible predators nearby, aggressive chickens, or if anything changes in diet or activity with the chickens. It might be something for a vet or a simple scab and bruising...The first picture looks like an infection or a blister and the second looks more like something plucked her feathers and caused it to bleed...? I may not be right but it looks like it needs some attention... Clean it up, keep her clean, and try to wrap it maybe..? hope that helps!

Last edited:
The first photo with the yellow scab looks like breast blister. Instructions for care can be found here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ister-graphic-pictures.1096276/#post-16850510

Second photos looks like damaged broken and plucked feathers. You can try pine tar to see if that helps deter the picking and heal the skin.

Feathers missing on chest and neck, I don't see a photo of that. Likely from pecking as well.

Do look your birds over for lice and mites while you are inspecting them. Sometimes that can cause birds to pluck at themselves leaving feathers broken and tissue damaged.

I believe the chicken with the scab on it's stomach has a breast blister. Does this chicken lay down a lot? And what do they sleep on?

@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
Are your birds roosting or sleeping on the floor? Are roosts rough, or is the bedding damp? Follow Wyorp Rock’s advice for treatment.

Sorry I didn't see these sooner, BYC never notified me.

Sometimes they make a nest on the floor of the coop, which is Pine shavings. Most of the time she sleeps on the roost. I think the roost is a 2x6, but I could be wrong. I change the bedding every time it gets wet.

The first photo with the yellow scab looks like breast blister. Instructions for care can be found here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ister-graphic-pictures.1096276/#post-16850510

Second photos looks like damaged broken and plucked feathers. You can try pine tar to see if that helps deter the picking and heal the skin.

Feathers missing on chest and neck, I don't see a photo of that. Likely from pecking as well.

Do look your birds over for lice and mites while you are inspecting them. Sometimes that can cause birds to pluck at themselves leaving feathers broken and tissue damaged.
I didn't take a pic of the roo. The feathers look chewed off. There's still about a ¼ above the skin, but that's where they broke off. The skin is kind of red and looks irritated. This roo is usually on top of the coop watching for predators. At first I thought he was bored and plucked his feathers. Then, I found a bug crawling around on an egg. It looked like a louse, but I can't find any on the chickens. We've dusted them twice now, and we'll do it again today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom