Big hen

Either Brahmas or Jersey Giants are the biggest hens
But biggest eggs i'm not too sure. Leghorns, RIR's, jersey giants, and Brahmas all lay very big eggs! (although Leghorn is a small size they have been known to lay big white eggs)
I think something might’ve been wrong with my jersey giants. I kept trying to figure out who was laying the tiny fairy Egg and my flock after months it was still teeny tiny and then found out it was my jersey giant:rolleyes:

I have a 13.5lb Light Brahma... Mrs White.... lays decent size eggs, assuming she doesn't eat them. She's the most voracious hen I ever had, super alpha too even the roosters don't mess with her.

IMG_1969.jpg

FWIW, large bird doesn't = large egg. In fact, the smaller, lighter breeds often lay larger eggs. Leghorns, for example, are very small bodied birds and produce very large eggs...."feed conversion" us a term used for rating breeds that relates to the feed in for egg return, larger birds tend to be less efgicient

Ive had most breeds at one time or another over my life time of having chickens, biggest hens were Jersey Giants but the eggs they laid were medium to large.
Isa Brown, golden sex link, red stars, golden comets what ever they are called, have been the layers with the largest eggs of all. Also having a tendancy for double yolkers in my expierience.

My Bielfelders lay huge brown eggs. This isn't the biggest but she layed it today - first egg since her sisters were killed by a fox/raccoon in August. I almost cried with joy when I heard her singing the song of her people outside the window!! I opened it and yelled "Go Brownie! You can do it!!" LOL. Gotta love letting a 3 year old name your chickens :lau

The white egg is a store bought "large" and the 9v & penny are for comparison.
20181112_182447.jpg
20181112_182413.jpg

FWIW, large bird doesn't = large egg. In fact, the smaller, lighter breeds often lay larger eggs. Leghorns, for example, are very small bodied birds and produce very large eggs...."feed conversion" us a term used for rating breeds that relates to the feed in for egg return, larger birds tend to be less efgicient

Feed conversion is horrible for Brahmas then.... Mrs White poops like a Clydesdale. She drops every time she starts running.. or any other sudden movement.

Back
Top Bottom