Big metal shed to chicken coop...?

How crazy of an idea would it be to take off that giant door on the close end of the metal shed ... then add a wall further inside that is largely open on the top? That would allow a section of the shed to be a 'covered porch,' if you will. And, it would allow the rest of it a means to get some better ventilation. One moderate window towards the top on the other side would allow air to move across the top and out.

How crazy of an idea would it be to take off that giant door on the close end of the metal shed ... then add a wall further inside that is largely open on the top? That would allow a section of the shed to be a 'covered porch,' if you will. And, it would allow the rest of it a means to get some better ventilation. One moderate window towards the top on the other side would allow air to move across the top and out.
I'm not sure how much work that would entail..I did suggest to my husband that we dismantle some of it and just use part of it (at that time I thought we needed to insulate the whole thing and it would probably have cost as much to do all that as it would have been to just build a new coop of half the size). He wasn't keen on trying to unscrew the metal pieces and would rather just use the existing structure.

I'm not sure how much work that would entail..I did suggest to my husband that we dismantle some of it and just use part of it (at that time I thought we needed to insulate the whole thing and it would probably have cost as much to do all that as it would have been to just build a new coop of half the size). He wasn't keen on trying to unscrew the metal pieces and would rather just use the existing structure.
Of course it's easier for me being thousands of miles away. But, I'm thinking of virtually no dismantling. ... just remove that door in the front of the picture. Add a wall part ways in. Hardware cloth on the top, closed off on the bottom (wood / hardipanel / etc). Use @Chuckie chicken 's idea for the window in the back. Looks like that wooden shelf in the back can be your nesting box!

IMG_20210617_201637_edit.jpg

Isn't this so much fun! Day dreaming about what we could do to other people's structures is so entertaining. There was one yesterday where someone has a small barn/large shed. Oh, the things to try in our minds knowing we don't have to do the work. It's like spoiling someone else's dog and then sending it home.

And for those of you with these big, beautiful blank slates, we are jealous. Very jealous.

Isn't this so much fun! Day dreaming about what we could do to other people's structures is so entertaining. There was one yesterday where someone has a small barn/large shed. Oh, the things to try in our minds knowing we don't have to do the work. It's like spoiling someone else's dog and then sending it home.

And for those of you with these big, beautiful blank slates, we are jealous. Very jealous.
All the better when we get to spend their money, too!

@Pippin quail, Before you cut any openings, think about your prevailing winter winds. It can play into your ventilation.

The openings in my coop are north, south, and west. The coop is oriented north/south. The prevailing winds come from the north and west. Unless the air is still, there is almost always some air movement in the coop and run.

My roo did get frostbite on his wattles and the points of his comb, but he has big floppy headgear. The hens didn't have any problems. I had open waterers, as that way I could use a heated waterer (big dog bowl from TCS) so I wouldn't have to worry about freeze up.

Haha 😂 I might have a lot of elaborate ideas too if I didn't want the chicks out of my art room ASAP. Lol.. I appreciate all the suggestions though, whether I use them or not..
I think we will be putting a wall or some sort of divider in the middle, but I'm still not sure I want to remove the door. I like the idea of having that side as a secure place to put feed and bedding.

@Pippin quail, Before you cut any openings, think about your prevailing winter winds. It can play into your ventilation.

The openings in my coop are north, south, and west. The coop is oriented north/south. The prevailing winds come from the north and west. Unless the air is still, there is almost always some air movement in the coop and run.

My roo did get frostbite on his wattles and the points of his comb, but he has big floppy headgear. The hens didn't have any problems. I had open waterers, as that way I could use a heated waterer (big dog bowl from TCS) so I wouldn't have to worry about freeze up.
Good tips. I'm not even sure where the prevailing winds will be from in the winter. Right now they seem to usually be from the west. But I'm guessing that will change in the winter. We only moved in end of April, so it's all new to me! Maybe I'll have to try and rig it so that there's ventilation on all sides with the ability to shut some if needed. I don't know!

Back
Top Bottom