Big Thank You to BYC members

Es_In_Miami

Songster
Apr 14, 2020
Miami, FL
This is little star. She's one of my first rescues. Little has never been of the strongest constitution. She's a little small and didn't start laying till well after she was a year old. We were sure there was something physically wrong with her. She's a good layer, not great. She is of a slight built, friendly, sweet, and a survivor.

I went into the co-op a few days ago to find her standing in a corner. Leaning up against the wall holding herself up by her beak. She was wobbling and clearly on steady. Pick it up, brought her inside into my emergency kennel and went to backyard chickens to look up possible solutions. That is when she had her first seizure.

I immediately started administering electrolytes. Our vet had provided me with some antibiotics. Since we have quite a large flock now. I started little star on the course of amoxicillin. Again, dosage details were readily available on BYC. A quick visit to the local tractor supply for rooster booster, and I had the drench on hand.

I wasn't sure she would make it through the night. I won't lie, Little Star has a special place in my heart. She's one of my original girls and such a sweet little hen. I was thrilled to find her still hanging on in the morning. At that point it was dose number two of antibiotics, hydration, b12, drench, and feeding. She had one much smaller seizure that morning. None since then. She was standing by the afternoon.

We are on day 3 now and she is standing, almost ready to eat on her own. Little definitely feels better, she's complaining about the feedings/hydration :) She's pooping again, and took a bit of water on her own midday.

Thank you to all the contributors on this site. You're an amazing wealth of knowledge. Especially those who provide links to Veterinary sources supporting their recommendations.

Basically you guys have saved more than one of my birds. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20240121_121514.jpg
    20240121_121514.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 8
Thank you to all the contributors on this site. You're an amazing wealth of knowledge. Especially those who provide links to Veterinary sources supporting their recommendations.
This is what makes BYC so valuable.
Basically you guys have saved more than one of my birds. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
And this is what makes BYC so special.

Back
Top Bottom