Bigger chicken coop design.

AllieCat12

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Hi
I'm building a new chicken coop ecause the first one I built is too small for 10 grown chickens. I can't find any good designs that I like but the last time I tried to design my own it didn't go so well.
hmm.png
(too small, not fitting together etc.) Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking those nest boxes that come out the sides and about 8 feet by 8 feet.

Last edited:
Did you look at the Coop Design sticky at the top of the page?
I googled and got lots of ideas, but ended up converting a horse stall.

Yeah I looked at the coop designs but I need to have one that can be insulated and also be cool as I live in wisconsin. I also didn't see many clear plans.

I ended up buying a ready made shed that I am converting. I figured tinkering with something that is already solidly built was easier than trying to build something from scratch. I bought a shed that someone had ordered custom made and then rejected because of some unclear reason. The seller sold it for half off because it was an odd size and they couldn't get rid of it. But it's perfect for 10 chickens (7x8) only drawback is that one side is only 5 ft high so there's the potential to bump your head if you're not careful. The shed cost about $600, delivered, if my memory doesn't betray me.

I've installed nest boxes (two wall kitchen cabinets set on concrete blocks with the doors removed), a roosting area with a poop-shelf. installed windows that I made out of lumber and plexiglass, and only need to make holes in the side with a lid to close it off well to get to the eggs from the outside and make a chicken-door into the run.

Don't know... hopefully someone will come along.

How about going to the Where am I thread and finding the thread for your area and ask around? They would know more about the insulation, etc.
I live in Tennessee and don't have that issue... we have heat.

We bought a shed kit on amazon for about $50 - it's just the plans and metal pieces to hold the wood together. One kit is 8x7, or you can put two or three kits together and make an even bigger one. Can't help you on the insulation, but you may not need that as much as you think.. my chickens did fine in -20F+ last year with no heat or insulation.

Inside of coop sheathing of 3/8 to 3/4" plywood, then a layer of 1/2 to 3/4" foam underlayment then your outside sheathing. This will keep out the wind
and the cold. Do not use a vapor barrier in that there needs to be some ventilation. Chickens make their own heat, and cold tolerant breeds such as
the Orpington would be helpful.
Be very leery of the kits. They are built to a price and sometimes are not as represented. You will be more satisfied with building your own design fit
to your own needs.

Back
Top Bottom