Bigger chickens pecking smaller chickens. Help please I'm slowly losing my mind.

You let them out onto grass for 2 hours? Or into the area in the pic with tables & chairs for 2 hours?
Tables in chair area, for the rest of the day they stay in this area in the fence gate. The coop is situated in the fence gate area. In the night i put them in the coop.
Pic of the area in which they stay in for the rest of the day
IMG_20210717_192151.jpg

I agree with previous responses. Space is the key. Did you mean to say that they are in the small crate for all but 2 hours of the day? If so, that's asking for a myriad of problems even with only the original bunch. It also looks like you have a smaller fenced area with feed in it etc. That might work better for their confined time. You should probably do 2 crates and let them out for the majority of the day
That is where they stay in for the rest of the day. The smaller fenced area

Last edited:
Tables in chair area, for the rest of the day they stay in this area in the fence gate. The coop is situated in the fence gate area. In the night i put them in the coop.
View attachment 2763208

I think that’s part of the pecking cause. They should have 10 square feet of space to roam in minimum during daylight hours. Especially being on concrete, as there isn’t any ground for them to peck & scratch at, or greens to pick apart. They are in too small of a space and are bored. ❤️

View attachment 2763208

Have you considered keeping quail instead of chickens? You really don't have an appropriate environment for chickens. But you could set up a beautiful environment for quail inside that penned off area.

I think that’s part of the pecking cause. They should have 10 square feet of space to roam in minimum during daylight hours. Especially being on concrete, as there isn’t any ground for them to peck & scratch at, or greens to pick apart. They are in too small of a space and are bored. ❤️
Well what do i do then? I live in a very heavy urban area and i do not have a lawn or a backyard so i raise em on my roof. The place is really not as small as it seems, and as for grass to peck at i dont have any of that since i raise em on the roof, if it remains ill just sell or something. Though that would be sad really like the little floofs

Have you considered keeping quail instead of chickens? You really don't have an appropriate environment for chickens. But you could set up a beautiful environment for quail inside that penned off area.
Quails can fly i really do not like imprisoning birds which can fly rather have it just live its own life besides the local bird sellers dont sell quails just chickens and pigeons and ducks

Well what do i do then? I live in a very heavy urban area and i do not have a lawn or a backyard so i raise em on my roof. The place is really not as small as it seems, and as for grass to peck at i dont have any of that since i raise em on the roof, if it remains ill just sell or something. Though that would be sad really like the little floofs
If there’s a way to let them out into the large area for most of the day, that would be better. If you can bring them clumps of grass/weeds with the dirt still attached, that would be great for them as well.

Some people grow a "salad bar" covered with wire mesh for their confined chickens so they can't scratch the roots, but can nibble on the greens. If you can get oat seeds, rye, etc, and grow them in a raised bed in the open, they would love that. I second leaving the door to the outside open giving them the option of getting out for more space. Also make lots of hiding spaces available with exit options so they aren't cornered.

First off, space is very tight, especially in the cage that serves as a coop. You really don't have the room to be adding more, so that's adding to the difficulty of integration.

Well what do i do then? I live in a very heavy urban area and i do not have a lawn or a backyard so i raise em on my roof.

Are you allowed to bring in bedding such as straw, wood shavings, etc.? That would at least give them something to scratch around in, which satisfies their natural behavior as well as keeps them busier.

The fenced area they have to stay in most of the day... you have some "stuff" in there in the way of pots and bags of (???) but with the way those objects are placed, it just eats up space in a corner without providing any benefit. I'd move some of those away from the wall to break up the space in the run area so the younger birds can hide, plus you need to have at least feeders placed relatively far apart, behind obstacles, so birds can eat without being bothered.

Example of placing obstacles in an area. Xs are feeders. Note that nothing's completely against a wall, so chickens can walk around objects as well as go on top of them:
obstacles2021.jpg

Back
Top Bottom