Birchen Marans Thread

Pics
Hi all! I love this site - been reading off and on for a couple of years, but just joined recently. Purchased some pure + mixed fertile eggs for our broody hen, and had one egg marked 'purebred' Birchen hatch. This is the result. Pretty sure it's a roo, but no silver coming out. He's about 20% smaller than his hatchmates too.View attachment 1082483 Super friendly, loves to be picked up! Thoughts?
Marans can be slow growers. Silver sometimes doesn't show up for a while, so don't worry too much yet!

I'm going to bathe some Birchen for a Poultry show. I've noticed that over time, the cocks and cockerels get yellower on the hackles and saddles but are much brighter right after molt, so I'm guessing that perhaps some sun bleaching is at play? Anyhow, I'm going to use bluing on them and see if it clears up some of the yellowing on the hackles.
They are filthy, since the splash birds are tinged yellow as well, so at least I will know how much is genetic and how much is dirt/sun once the deed is done.

Last edited:
I'm going to bathe some Birchen for a Poultry show. I've noticed that over time, the cocks and cockerels get yellower on the hackles and saddles but are much brighter right after molt, so I'm guessing that perhaps some sun bleaching is at play? Anyhow, I'm going to use bluing on them and see if it clears up some of the yellowing on the hackles.
They are filthy, since the splash birds are tinged yellow as well, so at least I will know how much is genetic and how much is dirt/sun once the deed is done.

Yes the sun and the age will affect the Silver ,because the Silver is dominant but very sensitive to the modifying genes .incomplete dominance .
chooks can stay pure silver if they are in they pure form .
the Autossomal genes are the nightmare in this strain or any silver strain .

looking forward to see some photos

chooks man

I'm surprised that the birchen variety has not had more popularity, I prefer the black and white/silver contrast compared to the black copper marans, I do not own any yet but plan on getting my hands on some maybe this spring, I only have black copper and blue copper so far. I just hope birchens get the egg color up there similar to quality BCM.

I'm surprised that the birchen variety has not had more popularity, I prefer the black and white/silver contrast compared to the black copper marans, I do not own any yet but plan on getting my hands on some maybe this spring, I only have black copper and blue copper so far. I just hope birchens get the egg color up there similar to quality BCM.
Shop carefully before purchasing your Birchen. If you can, ask for egg pics too. Generally speaking, they don't usually get as dark as the black copper, but they can get pretty dark. I picked up some blue Birchen chicks this spring. I'm pretty sure that the splash that were used in their breeding pen may have been hiding some copper or autosomal red (or both), but overall I am still happy with them.

Last edited:
Hi all! I love this site - been reading off and on for a couple of years, but just joined recently. Purchased some pure + mixed fertile eggs for our broody hen, and had one egg marked 'purebred' Birchen hatch. This is the result. Pretty sure it's a roo, but no silver coming out. He's about 20% smaller than his hatchmates too.View attachment 1082483 Super friendly, loves to be picked up! Thoughts?

he is a cross for sure .
there is some yellow color around his beak and his feet .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom