bird asleep in coop, might have gotten too cold

Pics

Phantom_k9

Songster
Oct 29, 2019
North Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Went outside to find on of our birds laying down on its side, it’s 37° outside. Picked him up, took him inside, am holding him currently under a heat lamp, wrapped up. His comb looks dark in places, his eyes are shut but he is still moving. He opens his eyes when we turn the lamp off or touch his face any. He has been puffed up and still all day today and yesterday, yesterday was also pretty cold as well. Is he sick or did he just get too cold?

I was joking about the beak thing, bad breath b/c he doesn’t brush his beak. He is standing up more and more and staying awake longer. I think he is getting better, and I’ll try to give him food and water. Thanks!
Even if he starts acting better, there’s still something going on. Those temperatures shouldn’t affect a healthy chicken like that. Feel his keel to check his weight! If it’s very sharp he would get cold but there’s definitely something wrong with it.

I cant really help. But definately keep him away from the other birds.... is he shivering? A bluey purple comb can be a sign of cyanide poising, but if he had that he'd probably be dead already... Probably frostbite? Keep that heat lamp on him give him warm water and food.
Poisoning is highly unlikely; and unless temps have consistently been below freezing then that’s not frostbite.

I disagree about keeping the heat lamp on him. That’s too much of a temp extreme variation as the bird was not suffering from being too cold or frostbite (37 is way too warm for that, unless the chicken is featherless). I would just separate her and keep an eye - but heat lamp is probably too much.

Honestly, I’m not sure that that’s even a parasitic worm. I’m wondering if it’s something he ate that impacted his crop? You’re right, chickens don’t vomit so any food that comes out has been blocked from going down into the stomach. That looks like a common garden grub.... and since you’re in the US, it’s probably not gapeworm and those are way smaller and don’t come out like that. Can’t wait for someone else to respond, I’m extremely curious.
And don’t beat yourself up. Chickens are delicate and get sick easily. Every issue is a learning experience.
How big is that thing? Can you put a quarter next to it and take a pic? I can’t really gauge the size.

37A5F3C9-1559-48D0-B205-06C4C7F24036.jpeg

I cant really help. But definately keep him away from the other birds.... is he shivering? A bluey purple comb can be a sign of cyanide poising, but if he had that he'd probably be dead already... Probably frostbite? Keep that heat lamp on him give him warm water and food.
37 degrees is above freezing, making frostbite highly improbable. That's 2 degrees Celsius.

Back
Top Bottom