Bird Flu in Illinois

MEEKSandPITTS

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2021
Hi, I have two Pekin ducks that spend their day outside and at night go into their “bedroom” in the garage. How concerned should I be about avian flu? They don’t come in contact with other wild birds, but birds obviously fly around my back yard, could they get it from those birds? I live in the Illinois suburbs btw

How concerned should I be about avian flu? They don’t come in contact with other wild birds, but birds obviously fly around my back yard, could they get it from those birds?
My understanding is the virus is spread through droppings and water. Direct contact isn't necessary, contact with droppings would be enough. Or through contact with water that an infected bird has used.

I've read the same as @Sally PB though I've also read it can be spread through mucus and feathers as well. We don't have a way to totally secure our small flock but I've seen others here post photos of enclosures surrounded by chicken wire/chain link/mesh that's also then covered by tarps or plastic sheets. The important things to do are keep wild birds completely out of any space where domestic birds are kept and provide cover to prevent feces, mucus, feathers, etc. from falling into that space.

Here in Northern Illinois I've seen no reports of AI in poultry. In Will County there was a Breakout in a flock of non poultry birds (could have been pigeons or such) and near Barrington a flock of mergansers.
If you're concerned about your birds, it's suggested that you keep them in a covered run until after migration. @Molpet shared a video from unfortunate NY. farmer who lost his entire flock of chickens due to an AI breakout. Although his entire flock had to be put down, he said the ones who did not appear to contract influenza we're the ones inside covered runs.

Back
Top Bottom