Bird Flu In Washington- Info and discussion thread

Pics
Whatcom and Peirce county are only 2.5 hours away. After the detection near was that far away, there was a case in our county only a day after. I hope your flock stays safe, this is horrifying.
Yikes, alright. One of those is about an hour and a half away only. Now I’m getting pretty nervous

Also-my neighbor wanted to get some chicks from me, which I hatched for the Easter Hatch A Long. She had five chickens but they slowly died off (they got old) and now she only has one hen who lives by herself.

I want to be really careful with the AI, but would it be better to give her the chicks now, or wait until after the whole thing? I don’t want my chickens go get it and be euthanized, and her not get the chicks, but then I also want to be really careful. What do you guys think?

Also-my neighbor wanted to get some chicks from me, which I hatched for the Easter Hatch A Long. She had five chickens but they slowly died off (they got old) and now she only has one hen who lives by herself.

I want to be really careful with the AI, but would it be better to give her the chicks now, or wait until after the whole thing? I don’t want my chickens go get it and be euthanized, and her not get the chicks, but then I also want to be really careful. What do you guys think?
If your giving her the chicks, I dont think theres a risk to her flock. Its really about wether or not she wants to risk it. If you flock did come down with AI in the next little bit, then they would have to test her flock, and possibly cull her birds if the chicks you gave her were infected.

WSDA just uploaded this to their website. It is a one stop location for all things AI. It even has an interactive map that shows wether or not your inside a control zone, and pinpoints the exact location of cases inside the county's. The Whatcom case hasn't been added yet, but if I remember correctly the control zone is 6 miles, and I would be just outside the control zone.

WSDA just uploaded this to their website. It is a one stop location for all things AI. It even has an interactive map that shows wether or not your inside a control zone, and pinpoints the exact location of cases inside the county's. The Whatcom case hasn't been added yet, but if I remember correctly the control zone is 6 miles, and I would be just outside the control zone.
Is there a link? Or is it the same as above?

Here's a screenshot of a frequently updated map. The vast majority of cases are in the midwest.
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 1.26.44 PM.png

Here's the link to the map: https://recombinomics.co/h5n1-hpai-united-states-2022-map/
I think it's updated more frequently than APHIS.

If your giving her the chicks, I dont think theres a risk to her flock. Its really about wether or not she wants to risk it. If you flock did come down with AI in the next little bit, then they would have to test her flock, and possibly cull her birds if the chicks you gave her were infected.
Thank you! I’ll talk to her and see what she thinks is best.

Back
Top Bottom