Bird sanctuary, please help

Reba24

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2016
Upstate NY
So one of my ducks recently was ambushed by the other ducks. And he can't walk well or practically at all. He falls over and I took him to the vet and she didn't do an xray but we did determine nothing was broken, its been about 3 weeks and he is still not better and I honestly don't know if I can Care for him anymore. I am wondering if anybody knows how I should go about searching for like a rescue home or sanctuary that might be better fitted to caring for my duck. I live in upstate NY and I am looking into my local nature center because I know they take some animals in but any help would be greatly appreciated.

contact your local DNR office, or an animal shelter. Both should have rescue home phone numbers. If he is in that bad of shape, sitting around, unable to move, is no life for a duck. Personally, if he has had no improvement by now, I would put him down. It may even be a brain injury that is keeping him from walking.

Did the vet give medicine or advice on what to do? Like giving him physiotherapy/letting him swim? I agree with @firestomp that he should have shown improvement after 3 weeks, and honestly I don't think it is fair to hand over a severely disabled duck to a rescue center. And I don't think it's fair to your duck either... :(

Ducks have a strong will to live, and can thrive in the right environment. You alone can see the duck and detect if he wants to keep trying. Massachusetts SPCA runs Nevins Farm, give them a call at least for some advice.

What breed?

Back
Top Bottom