bird seed

yellowirenut

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 27, 2011
New haven, IN
I occasionally throw bird seed into there run. They seem to enjoy it and also gives them something to scratch about for. This is just for a treat and to keep them occupied. Anyone else do this?
I cant think of why it would be harmful. They also get grit tossed into the mix as well.

I use bird seed as scratch, well used to. Now scratch (which is basically bird seed) is cheaper. Now if you are getting into the fancier bird seeds, I would make sure some of the items like rasins, peanuts and stuff is okay for chickens. I wouldn't use thistle seed since not all the seeds will be consumed and could go outside and you will end up with a lot of thistles growing all over the place.

Supposedly they aren't supposed to eat scratch until 18 wks, but since chickens have been around a lot longer than Purina has, weren't they eating seeds and other things before processed feed was available, lol

Not sure how old your birds are, but it does (supposedly) raise their body temp and depending on where you live and how hard you are working to battle the summer heat and keep them cool, then you may want to wait on giving it to them, however, they'll probably be fine either way. Once again there are opinions and the perfect world and the real world.

I throw about a third of a cup of birdseed (for three 16 week old pullets) into the run each morning...just to help keep them occupied until I come home in the late afternoon and give them a bit of free range time. It's a wild bird mix, mostly milo & millet with some other misc grains and BOSS mixed in. I usually throw in a few handfuls of dandelions or other greens at the same time.

Last edited:
I also throw out some bird seed on occasion. I bought a bag of the bird seed (with a lot of white millet) when I first got my guineas since they love the white millet.
All the chickens love it.
I also have the 4-grain scratch that they love.
It's a treat and they have it maybe once a week.
I keep it outside in a plastic trash can (in bags) and whenever they hear the noisy lid come off, they all come running from anywhere on the property!
I don't even have to call "Chickie, Chickie!" anymore. ... Just rattle the plastic trash can lid.

big_smile.png

I picked up a smallish bag of bird seed at Walmart this afternoon to use as scratch for now since I won't be by TSC any time soon. It has sunflower, safflower, peanuts and other yummy stuff in it. They were getting scratch before I got them (hatched April/May, just got last week), and I swear they give me dirty looks in the morning if there's nothing out there...

eta: I just took out a handful or so... silly birds pushed it aside and growled at me. So sorry it wasn't bread...
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Black Oil Sunflower Seed. It's a small variety that is high in oil content. They eat the whole thing, hull and all!

Back
Top Bottom