Bird watching

Pics
Our state poultry tester is a big bird watcher too. She even takes vacation time in the spring to watch the warblers migrate through. One bird she wanted to see but hadn't yet was a pileated woodpecker. While we were testing my birds one day a pair flew through so she finally got to see one. We could hear them coming our way from a long way off.

I think it was that same year a fieldfare (a robin sized visitor from Europe) was discovered in the conservation land behind us. I couldn't believe all the bird watchers that showed up to see it. Cars from the entire eastern seaboard, and ones from as far away as Michigan and Texas.

Surprisingly the state tester had never managed to get a good look at a wood duck either. They are all over the place here. Once while walking past the pond down the road I managed to spook a whole migrating flock of 35-40 of them that I didn't even see because they were in leftover cattails from the prior year. Last year I got to see a mother wood duck with 8 babies.

Our state poultry tester is a big bird watcher too. She even takes vacation time in the spring to watch the warblers migrate through. One bird she wanted to see but hadn't yet was a pileated woodpecker. While we were testing my birds one day a pair flew through so she finally got to see one. We could hear them coming our way from a long way off.

I think it was that same year a fieldfare (a robin sized visitor from Europe) was discovered in the conservation land behind us. I couldn't believe all the bird watchers that showed up to see it. Cars from the entire eastern seaboard, and ones from as far away as Michigan and Texas.

Surprisingly the state tester had never managed to get a good look at a wood duck either. They are all over the place here. Once while walking past the pond down the road I managed to spook a whole migrating flock of 35-40 of them that I didn't even see because they were in leftover cattails from the prior year. Last year I got to see a mother wood duck with 8 babies.
What a cool story! I love when things work out like that!

Maybe invite her to go to the pond sometime :p

Wood ducks are common there. I've also seen migrating Canada geese, mallards, black ducks, green winged teals, various mergansers and one time some long tailed ducks.

She finally did see some wood ducks. She lives closer to the ocean so during the winter gets to see more interesting migrants like snowy owls. I've only seen one here.

Wood ducks are common there. I've also seen migrating Canada geese, mallards, black ducks, green winged teals, various mergansers and one time some long tailed ducks.

She finally did see some wood ducks. She lives closer to the ocean so during the winter gets to see more interesting migrants like snowy owls. I've only seen one here.

Wow I had no idea all those were in our state!!

I'm near the ocean too though so maybe we don't have them out here?

I think I've only seen one or two snowy owls too but I've seen sightings in the paper/that they're on the beach, just never really gone to see them.

I saw a hummingbird yesterday, at least I think I did. Green body and too big to be a bug lol it was moving so fast though. It stopped by the lilacs. Then I think I saw another or the same one.

And today I saw a huge hawk circling over our (towns) dump lol

And not birds but LOTS of gorgeous butterflies too

I love getting bird pictures! My favorite bird is either the red-winged-black-bird or the white breasted nuthatch! I love Ruby Crowned kinglets and gold finches too! Too many to count! :)

Back
Top Bottom