Birds haven't touched feed in 2 weeks!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by operator16, Aug 27, 2010.

1. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    My 12 free range during the day and get scraps from the kitchen. I haven't filled their feeder in at least 2 weeks. The don't seem to be interested in it. I still have the start and grow feed in them. I was hoping to move to grower but the bin is still full. Is this typical? They are very active, pooping like normal, etc...

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    If there's a lot of natural food available in your fields, they probably are living on them alone.

My greedy bunch free range and most eat less during the summer months. The Brahmas are lazy, though, and hang around the door all day as they prefer not to work too hard for their food.

If your flock are healthy, egg laying etc. I wouldn't worry!

Sandie

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

That is one of the benefits of free range, they eat considerably less! Especially in the spring/summer when the range is good. [​IMG]

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I am jealous that you can free range and save on the food bill...like the others said, unless they are drooping or not laying...they are fine. keep up the good work.

5. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mine free range and hardly eat any commercial feed during the spring, summer and fall but they eat a lot during the winter months.

6. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    My birds are exactly the same. Since I started free ranging them a week ago, they have hardly touched their feed at all. I too was worried, but they actually all seem to be much happier now that they're out all day At first I was leaving the coop door open for them in case any wanted to donate a gets for our kitchen, but when I never found any eggs in the coop, I decided to keep the door closed during the day when they're out. Anyway, yesterday I was pottering around outside and when I went to move some old thatched roofing which was leaning up against a wall, I discovered a week's worth of eggs so now my fridge is full again:lol: The good thing though is that they haven't stopped laying because of not eating their feed. In fact, I think they're laying even more. Maybe it's their free range diet, or maybe it's because the hens get to have more privacy, but either way, it works out well for me. [​IMG]

7. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Mine free range all day as well, I put one scoop of Layer pellets and one scoop of scratch in the feeder probably every 2-3 days.

8. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are the same as well. I WANT mine to eat at least a little layer feed even though I know they get plenty of bugs and things in the yard during the day. I just want them to have that extra protein and calcium as well so I don't let them out of the coop till late morning. I make sure the water and feeder is full the night before when I lock them in, and they munch down on the feed in the coop for at least a couple hours. Then when I open the coop around 11 am, they rush out for bugs and greens for the rest of the day. The other good thing about this is most of them lay their eggs in the nest boxes during this time, less easter egg hunting!

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I always look forward to allowing my chickens to free range after they're cooped up all winter because it means my food bill will drop drastically. Not to mention that the eggs taste better.

10. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:I leave mine in the coop run in the early AM when they get the idea to lay eggs in the shed instead of the nest box...

As far as free ranging and concerns about extra protein... Typically they will get more protein from what they find as far as bugs an such than from feed.

With concerns about enough calcium. I offer oyster shells free choice in a separate feeder. The laying hens eat it the pullets do not...[​IMG] This way they can get the calcium they need without having to eat food they are not hungry for..

ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by