Birds not responding to corid

CochinFancy

Hatching
Aug 3, 2019
I had 5 chicks hatch May 25 of this year. I have had zero problems with them until yesterday. I believe they have coccidiosis and I will explain why later in this post. When I noticed them acting lethargic I started Corid treatment, mixing it in their water and I left them alone to drink it. I went out this morning and I had lost one, and then about an hour ago I lost another. I’m not sure what to do now, because I’m scared I’m going to loose my other three.

The reason being I believe they have coccidiosis is because they have all the classic signs. Lethargic, blood in stool, stringy stool, diarrhea all over the back of them, hunched over, not eating. They also have liquid (I believe it to be the water with medicine) coming out of their mouths if you pick them up too fast or upon death. I had this happen last year and lost 6 out of 7 birds but did not learn what I had until after and did not administer Corid. I bought Corid after to keep on hand.

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Give each chick some undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound twice a day for a few days in addition to giving it in the water. Are you using 2 tsp (10 ml) per gallon of the Corid liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder? There are a couple of virulent strains of coccidia which may require a different drug (sulfadimethoxine) which you can get from a vet, or online in a few days. Also, it is important that they drink enough of the Corid water. Since Corid is what you have, try putting it in some of their food, and dip beaks to get them drinking. Sorry for your loss, and I hope that you do not lose any more.

CochinFancy

Hatching
Aug 3, 2019
Give each chick some undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound twice a day for a few days in addition to giving it in the water. Are you using 2 tsp (10 ml) per gallon of the Corid liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder? There are a couple of virulent strains of coccidia which may require a different drug (sulfadimethoxine) which you can get from a vet, or online in a few days. Also, it is important that they drink enough of the Corid water. Since Corid is what you have, try putting it in some of their food, and dip beaks to get them drinking. Sorry for your loss, and I hope that you do not lose any more.
Thank you so much :( I hope not to loose more either

I am using the liquid but I seem to have it mixed incorrectly. When my mom did conversion on the back of the bottle she had me mix only one spoonful.

I will give undiluted Corid right now and go mix the water again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom