Bit by the hatching bug ... Marans hatch

mattsinger

Songster
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
Davison, MI
Well, here we go again. Last year, I purchased some nice Black Copper Marans pullets from BJs Poultry, and acquired a blue spash roo with the intention of hatching some Blue Copper Marans this spring. From what I can tell comparing the eggs to pics on the internet...the eggs look fertile, so I thought Id start collecting some and give a hatch a try. Then I made the mistake of looking around on line....and next think you know, I have another dozen Marans eggs on the way. So I plan to set about 24 eggs this Friday if all goes well. Should be fun.;

First one is out ... and very loud

Kristie..  Im using a LG bator with a fan.  I have a little electronic thermometer /humidity thing.  based on that, I kept the humidity very close to 50% the first 10 days, then after I candled, I left it dry the rest of the time until lockdown.  That put it at about 10%.  Then for lockdown, I brought it up to about 65%.  It may not be the best, but it worked out a lot better than my first attempt last year.  Last year I left it dry the whole time up until lockdown....and I only had one pip and hatch.  the rest didnt pip.... but most all were fully developed, they just couldnt get out
Matt I'm dry hatching and my humidity is hanging around 40% since start. I haven't added any water at all. I'm hoping for a successful candling coming up Monday and obviously a nice hatch.

K

Well, I'm making progress. I have 10 of my own eggs, and just got 15 in the mail today. I should be ready to set them in the bator tomorrow afternoon. I have all the eggs sitting fat side up...bator has been holding temp for a couple days.. I think Im ready. This is only my second attempt at hatching.....I did learn a few things my first time around and hope to have decent success.

Back
Top Bottom