black australorp and a blue egg? (added pics)

thanks so much! i had noticed that they are supposed to be the same age but the cross is smaller...it definitely makes sense now. i thought her comb was odd but just don't know enough about chickens yet to get that it was a pea comb!

i am very happy b/c i had wanted EEs but was not able to find any locally just now...settled on BAs and got a happy accident with this cross. she's sitting on the BLs eggs too, not totally broody but sitting a lot (like when the other hens are roosting). i might have to try to get some chicks out of her if i can borrow a roo from the neighbors. any thoughts on what type of roo would be best to maximize the chances of seeing the blue egg gene come out in her offspring?

also...do i refer to her as a BAxEE?

Quote:
She definately looks like she's half BA, so I guess you could
smile.png
Well I'm glad you're happy with the "mishap" as most would probably be a bit miffed to get an EE when they wanted BAs! To get blue egg layers from her the best bet would be Ameraucana (as not all EEs lay green or blue eggs), or an EE with Pea comb.

Your best bet for blue eggs would be an EE or Ameraucana rooster. I would not use an Araucana rooster as they have a gene that reduces hatchability.

You can call her an EE, because that is what she is. If you want to call her a cross, that works too.

With those reddish brown feathers in her hackles, she looks a lot like a Black Copper Marans hen. It's possible that she's the result of someones attempt to cross a BCM with an EE or Ameraucana, in order to get an olive egger.

Might check the black hens feet , they should be whitish if she's pure . They're both nice girls and I would be happy with the blue egg surprize LOL .

It is very interesting that the eggs are blue and not green or olive. On my screen they are an absolutely lovely shade of blue. What a happy mishap!

Quote:
Actually, with a chicken (Ameraucana or EE in this case) that carries autosomal red crossed with a black chicken that kind of leakage is quite common. I still believe it's a BA x EE - as we do know the source of the birds have Aussies, and the bird has some of the type of both Aussie and Ameraucana...

Quote:
I hatched out some RIR x BA that looked identical except for the comb. The girls all had the red leakage similar to a black sex link female. She really looks like she had an Australorp mom. Maybe the dad was a non-tufted Aracauna? Whatever she is- you have quite a jewel on your hands! Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom