Black Bantum cochin pullets???

newchickchickmama

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2021
Hi, I brought these 4 fuzzy footed Bantums from tractor supply in May of this year and was told they were pullets?? They all look just alike and are now crowing and I think maybe they are roosters? No eggs yet. Please help, I am new to all this and am trying to learn:)

Attachments

• rooster 1.PNG
    rooster 1.PNG
    303.8 KB · Views: 20
  • rooster 2.PNG
    rooster 2.PNG
    489.3 KB · Views: 16
None of the breeds in a bantam bin can be sexed until combs and wattles come in around 4-6 weeks. Usually later in that range.

In fact, the only chicks a feed store employee will be able to sex in store, are Sex Links. For future reference - don't let some employee blow smoke and tell you they can pick out pullets for you. Sometimes they have pullet bins. A lot of times they wind up mixing their chicks when they clean those bins. You could try your luck with pullet bins, but don't be shocked if you accidentally bring home a cockerel out of those too.

Welcome to chickens!!

None of the breeds in a bantam bin can be sexed until combs and wattles come in around 4-6 weeks. Usually later in that range.

In fact, the only chicks a feed store employee will be able to sex in store, are Sex Links. For future reference - don't let some employee blow smoke and tell you they can pick out pullets for you. Sometimes they have pullet bins. A lot of times they wind up mixing their chicks when they clean those bins. You could try your luck with pullet bins, but don't be shocked if you accidentally bring home a cockerel out of those too.

Welcome to chickens!!
Thank you for your advice:) We live and learn!

Hi, I brought these 4 fuzzy footed Bantums from tractor supply in May of this year and was told they were pullets?? They all look just alike and are now crowing and I think maybe they are roosters? No eggs yet. Please help, I am new to all this and am trying to learn:)
Those aren’t bantams. They look like marans. Do you have any more pictures? They are cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom