Black-bellied Whistling Duckling Rescue

biggtexx

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2018
East Texas
A co-worker and I rescued a Black-bellied Whistling Duckling this morning who was abandoned by the flock and either about to be food for a hawk that was eyeing the duckling, or would have met his/her fate under the tires of car as it was waddling around a bank drive-through.

We have the duckling in a cardboard box with a towel, warm water bottle and shallow water dish (tupperware lid) so it has access to water but not enough to try and swim in. Should I try to find and offer some duck starter, or what we be my best course of action here until I get a proper assessment done?

Wow, can you post some pictures?? Pleeeeze? :)

I agree, Purina Flock Raiser is a great choice if you can get some. I've noticed some of the TSC's are also carrying a feed specially formulated for ducks, also made by Purina (dark hunter-green bag), but it is pellets, so depending on the size of the duckling, crumbles are probably a better option.

I love whistling ducks. Some Purina Flock raiser would be good. If there is a Steinhousers near you, you can get it there.
Thanks for the comments, I will have to see what I can find on this side of town (I am around 1.5 hours away from my little home in the woods). I won't be heading home for another 8+ hours, but I didn't want to wait that long to start finding some feed.

Wow, can you post some pictures?? Pleeeeze? :)

I agree, Purina Flock Raiser is a great choice if you can get some. I've noticed some of the TSC's are also carrying a feed specially formulated for ducks, also made by Purina (dark hunter-green bag), but it is pellets, so depending on the size of the duckling, crumbles are probably a better option.
I have a few pics on my phone, let me see if I can get signed in and post a few. Poor thing is tiny, about the size of a 3 day old Barred Rock!

Sorry about the photo quality, my phone camera is not the best... The blue mug with a lid and a paper towel around it is the heat source (a ceramic soup mug). I wasn't exactly equipped to rescue any birds today!

20180709_100806.jpg 20180709_100747.jpg 20180709_100738.jpg

Attachments

• 20180709_100747.jpg
    20180709_100747.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 21
Might want to go herehttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ornamental-fowl-swans-etc.46/ and ask how best to care for the little ling. I know Wood ducks don't eat Flock raiser not sure about the Blk Bellied whistling duck they may have different dietary needs as well , Sure is a precious lil one. Also might call fish and game they probably know of a rehabber in your area that knows just how to care for them.

Back
Top Bottom