Black bibbed duckling with brown splashes?

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
I have a black bibbed Hookbill duckling who definitely hatched black bibbed (hatched from my flock), but he had these very small patches of almost a very dark chocolate down on his chest that were only noticable if you were really looking for them in natural light. I just assumed that the down was a lighter shade of black because down can sometimes be different shades variants then when they get adult feathers they feather in a solid color. I figured once he lost his down everything was going to grow in solid black. Well he is starting to feather in and that down is now dusky/nutmeg adult feathers. I only have two adult drakes one is a Golden Snowy and the other was a nutmeg/dusky mallard. Mom is black bibbed. I'm curious for the genetic expert's what's happening here? I'm assuming my golden snowy drake is the dad throwing some sort of splash gene?

PXL_20210612_201719923~2.jpg

PXL_20210612_201435746~3.jpg

Last edited:
I have a black bibbed Hookbill duckling who definitely hatched black bibbed (hatched from my flock), but he had these very small patches of almost a very dark chocolate down on his chest that were only noticable if you were really looking for them in natural light. I just assumed that the down was a lighter shade of black because down can sometimes be different shades variants then when they get adult feathers they feather in a solid color. I figured once he lost his down everything was going to grow in solid black. Well he is starting to feather in and that down is now dusky/nutmeg adult feathers. I only have two adult drakes one is a Golden Snowy and the other was a nutmeg/dusky mallard. Mom is black bibbed. I'm curious for the genetic expert's what's happening here? I'm assuming my golden snowy drake is the dad throwing some sort of splash gene?

View attachment 2715736
View attachment 2715920
I was gonna say Calico (Ca) of being a possibility, but it doesn’t look like any particular phase or dilution of Mallard so maybe not.
351A528D-6B53-438F-8254-13D559527533.png

Back
Top Bottom