Black & Blue Ameraucana Chicks?

PrepShepherd

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 9, 2013
VA
From what I looked up the grey chicks will turn out to be Blue & the Black Chicks will be Black? If its true all the chicks that I hatch out of the Ameraucanas are these two colors, not sure how since non of my Chickens are Black or Bule and none of the Chickens in the flock I got them from had any....Edit: ment to put this in the Breeds, Genetics, & Showing section, sorry.

Last edited:
Well that's the fun of ee's, they are like skittles as you never know what you'll get. I have seen alot of dark red chipmunk chicks turn into white and black adults. I doubt any of the chicks will be a solid color when grown.

It's okay to post this here, this is where you'll get some good answers. Ramirezframing is right, you have Easter Eggers. They're not purebreds, and that means you could end up with any sort of colors as they grow. If you have girls, they'll probably be duller colors like their mothers, boys will be shiny and have brighter colors.

I thought Ameraucanas where a pure breed and EE are any mix that has the blue, green egg gene? If they do turn out to be those 2 colors I'll prob keep some and get rid of a few I have now, I like the blues and blacks. Any clue what color the hen in the first pic beside the Roo is? I'd loved to get more colors like that, I think its a pretty color.

I thought Ameraucanas where a pure breed and EE are any mix that has the blue, green egg gene? If they do turn out to be those 2 colors I'll prob keep some and get rid of a few I have now, I like the blues and blacks. Any clue what color the hen in the first pic beside the Roo is? I'd loved to get more colors like that, I think its a pretty color.

The hen in the picture beside the rooster isn't a real color variety. The closest variety that she would fit would probably be Silver Duckwing. Easter Eggers often don't fit a color variety, but they are still pretty!

First off, you don't have Ameraucanas - you have mutt easter eggers. Love that silver girl in the first pic, I had a girl just like her.

They might have blue color in them but it's highly unlikely they'll be just blue - EE's rarely come in "standard" colors, aside from black. The blacks might turn out to be mostly if not all black though.

Agree with the others, you have Easter Eggers, not Ameraucanas. You are right, Ameraucanas are an actual breed. However, many people and hatcheries sell any mutt birds that carry the blue egg gene as Araucanas, Ameraucanas, or even Americanas. I am sorry that you weren't sold what you thought you were buying.

However, EEs are great birds, and lay a wide range of shades of blue and green eggs. Their colors are often a surprise, as is their egg color. It's kind of like Christmas! I keep both EEs and Ameraucanas, but I think the EEs are more fun, and often have a prettier egg color than the Ameraucanas.

Here's a link you might find helpful: www.ameraucana.org

Ok good to know I've been mislabeling wrong from the start First Araucanas then Ameraucana (which I had been spelling it Americana) so least I know for sure. No big deal since I bought 5 adult Hens for 25 and a free Roo. We had EE when I was a kid and we called them easter eggers, but didn't remember what they looked like.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom