Black, Blue and Splash (BBS) Marans discussion thread

Pics
have any of you guys hatch a very light blue bird that looks almost like Splash(as chick) or lavender as young cockerel?

seems like I´m having some gene interacting with blue to lighten this cockerel

Interesting, can't say that I have seen this shade of blue, we do raise blue andalusian chickens and see various shades of blue and get splash. Hopefully someone else will have some more ideas for you.

Interesting, can't say that I have seen this shade of blue, we do raise blue andalusian chickens and see various shades of blue and get splash. Hopefully someone else will have some more ideas for you.
In the bantam Wyandottes growing up every once and a while there will be an exceptionally light blue hatch out. They are blue, just very pale.

In the bantam Wyandottes growing up every once and a while there will be an exceptionally light blue hatch out. They are blue, just very pale.
Would the type of pairing be a factor in the shade of blue? We use blue to blue matings but stay away from blue to splash mating. We also use black to splash and black to blue depending on what we have available to use.

[COLOR=A52A2A]Possibly a splash ???? ,,,, are you sure the breeder had Black Coppers ?  Some Blue Coppers can appear to be black, and if they had a dark blue roo and hen, that would explain the possible splash chick.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=A52A2A]Anyone else ?[/COLOR]

Well I did not see his birds so I guess it is posable. In he's ad it said black copper marans eggs but I guess you never really know if you don't see the birds. It came out of a vary dark egg but I guess all marans eggs are vary dark. I will be keeping this chick so Ill share pics as it starts feathering out. I can't wait to find out what it is!! :)

Does anyone have some pictures of blue & black copper marans, also splash marans chicks. I will be incubating a mix of the previously mentioned eggs and I have never had Marans before so I don't know what each color looks like in the chicks. I am not sure which ones I want or should keep. Thanks.

Does anyone have some pictures of blue & black copper marans, also splash marans chicks. I will be incubating a mix of the previously mentioned eggs and I have never had Marans before so I don't know what each color looks like in the chicks. I am not sure which ones I want or should keep. Thanks.
I don't have any pictures but can tell you that blue and black will look dark until they get fluffed out. Splash will be light, almost white in color. You will probably need to grow the chicks out until they are 4-6 months or longer to determine which ones you want to keep. It will also depend on what you plan to raise them for, eggs or showing. Hope this helps and hopefully others will chime in.

I don't have any pictures but can tell you that blue and black will look dark until they get fluffed out. Splash will be light, almost white in color. You will probably need to grow the chicks out until they are 4-6 months or longer to determine which ones you want to keep. It will also depend on what you plan to raise them for, eggs or showing. Hope this helps and hopefully others will chime in.
Thanks for your reply! The Marans look like a very beautiful bird. I am looking forward to seeing what I hatch out.

would anyone be inclined to say the BBS Marans have sort of a honk?
I have a couple pullets that are almost to POL. One has always been very chatty; now her voice is changing?
I have a few more baby chicks, and am wondering if I want a group that is that noisy?

Back
Top Bottom