Black, Blue and Splash (BBS) Marans discussion thread

Pics
No egg yet lol
The soles of her feet are white.
I don't think her feet are feathered- hmmm, but I had only checked eyes and bum before she took off to feed.
New place and people so I've let her be thks week, both new girls will get a thorough look over later today or Sunday.
the purple sheen show the presence of the mahogany gene. she is most likely a copper and not just black. she looks like a Marans....the egg will tell you more. does she have feathered legs what color are the soles of her feet?

Last edited:
Hey BBS Marans people...
I lost my rooster and over half of my BBS hens last fall.

I want to rebuild my flock summer/fall 2014. Anyone, working on large body BBS Marans? Quite frankly most of the lines I am seeing are all the small body. IMHO, the traditional aspect of the breed is a dual purpose bird. The second picture was a very young hen. I have only 3 heavy body hens left.

Any guidance or direction to look is appreciated. I will tolerate some coppering, as I did not have that worked out yet.

So who has the biggest BBS birds out there>?

Last edited:
Hello all

My Marans are still eggs in the incubator, except George (whom I hope is a girl). I just wanted to subscribe to this forum to learn more about Blue Marans. Any tips on incubating appreciated. And, how on earth do you candle the eggs? I tried, with the first batch, and I couldn't see diddly squat through those shells.

Hello all

My Marans are still eggs in the incubator, except George (whom I hope is a girl). I just wanted to subscribe to this forum to learn more about Blue Marans. Any tips on incubating appreciated. And, how on earth do you candle the eggs? I tried, with the first batch, and I couldn't see diddly squat through those shells.

I don't toss Marans till day 10-14 so don't worry yet. They are hard to see in for sure. I use a 250 lumens flashlight and can see some.

Hello all

My Marans are still eggs in the incubator, except George (whom I hope is a girl).  I just wanted to subscribe to this forum to learn more about Blue Marans.  Any tips on incubating appreciated.  And, how on earth do you candle the eggs?  I tried, with the first batch, and I couldn't see diddly squat through those shells.

I have 8 Blue Marans eggs hatching right now too. Due on 1/13. 8/9 were fertile & although they're not as easy to candle as lighter eggs, I could easily eliminate the infertile one with my Ovascope.

Hello,
I have read through this post... I have a question. IF I missed another posting that was the same. I am sorry. I am looking for Blue Marans.. I have found someone who has a Blue Hen that she breeds back to a BCM... she showed me pictures of her blue hens. IF she hatches some blues and some blacks.. what will their offspring have IF they are bread blue/blue having in the past parents of a BCM and Blue???? I hope this is NOT confusing. SORRY.

Hello,
I have read through this post... I have a question. IF I missed another posting that was the same. I am sorry. I am looking for Blue Marans.. I have found someone who has a Blue Hen that she breeds back to a BCM... she showed me pictures of her blue hens. IF she hatches some blues and some blacks.. what will their offspring have IF they are bread blue/blue having in the past parents of a BCM and Blue???? I hope this is NOT confusing. SORRY.

Same answer as on the other thread. Once the copper is introduced they are coppers. My guess is her birds are also coppers. Solid blue and black are VERY VERY HARD to find. Not all Copper marans will show copper but that does not make them black or blue..... they are coppers genetically and forever.

Same answer as on the other thread. Once the copper is introduced they are coppers. My guess is her birds are also coppers. Solid blue and black are VERY VERY HARD to find. Not all Copper marans will show copper but that does not make them black or blue..... they are coppers genetically and forever.
HAHA ! Yes I found this post second... THANK YOU !!!! I am finding A true Blue.. hard as you shared !

Back
Top Bottom