Black Copper Maran Eggs

Quote:
Yep, I got some from Bev! 5 hatched out of 15...5 came broken--darn PO!!!
sad.png
The darkest eggs I have ever seen though! Unfortunately, I got one of each colored Maran! What are the odds???? LOL! So, I have no pairs...and how do you sex a maran??? It's hard to tell my roos from my hens...or maybe I just have all the same sex....probably all roos....
roll.png

idk
hu.gif
About Julie's eggs being imported. It's a LOT of time effort and expense. On the buyers and the breeder overseas. Most do not sell because of the cost and paperwork involved.

3 years ago I literally begged for Marans eggs. The Maran God's wouldn't budge in selling me one egg.
duc.gif
But then, when I went thru the expense and headache. Who was emailing me begging me to trade for my new blood?
th.gif
I haven't sold or traded one egg. I got my own the hard way, I'm stubborn.
lau.gif

Although I did GIVE chicks to my bestest friend Mark.
love.gif
He calls them Mark's Marans.
big_smile.png

I have Wheaten, Copper Blacks, Bantam Cuckoo and Silver Wheaten so far. I will be IMPORTING Blue Wheatens and Copper Blues. I have Mille Cochins that are quite good at BROODING.

I also have my eye on Lemon Cuckoo Pekins(Cochins) & Crele Wyandottes

Last edited:
Welcome Starwalker!
welcome-byc.gif

(love the username)

Jackson County...is that over by Gainesboro? I've been over in that area when I was younger to play softball...don't remember what town it was...anyway just wanted to say Hi.

~Rebecca
woot.gif

You can try fitzfarmandpoultry.net They sell for $65/dz shipped, but they are a few weeks behind right now too. I have 5 chicks from their eggs right now.....so I hope to have some next year.
big_smile.png

Has anyone noticed how much the Black Copper Marans look like the production birds, Black Stars?
I have both, and I can tell you the hens look the same.
I paid a couple of bucks for the stars and alot more for the coppers. The only difference would be the dark colored eggs I guess and the coppers seem to be more friendly, calmer natured. At least its been the situation with mine.

edited for spelling

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me why Bev Davis calls her wheaton marans the B.Davis line when she got her wheatons from Ron Presley in Athens tennessee. Her wheatons are cottage hill line. I know because I have been to the farm with the wheatons it is 5 miles from me and I know Bev got her wheatons there.

Quote:
Bev is one of the most scrupulous breeders I know, constantly refinining her lines. Her birds look great. Unless you can lay eggs yourself, everybody at some point got their chickens from another person. That doesn't mean you can't start your own line of birds. A new line emerges through selective breeding over generations. I think she is justified in designating her line as the Bev Davis line.

Back
Top Bottom