1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Copper Maran leg feathering question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SIMZ, Nov 4, 2011.

1. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hello! I hatched five BCM's almost 5 weeks ago. I suspect that I have 3 roos and 2 pullets. My concern is that 4 of the chicks have very heavy leg feathering and one has very little. Is leg feathering related to gender? Please tell me it's not and it's still possible that I have more than just one female in the bunch!! [​IMG]

Thanks!
    Stacie

2. bigshawn

bigshawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
  3. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Thank you! I'm not sure where to start, but it looks like very interesting reading. [​IMG]

4. bigshawn

bigshawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Post your ? there I'm sure it will get answered qwickly........

5. aChickted

aChickted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Washington
    Leg feather has really nothing to do with gender. You don't want heavy leg feathering on a marans, just a light amount down the shaft of the leg and outside toe [​IMG] They are usually pretty easy to sexy by a few weeks old! [​IMG]

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Marans are definitely on my list for next year.

7. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    post a picture. at 5 weeks they are easy to tell the difference.

8. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks so much for the replies! [​IMG]

I'll try to post some pictures in a little bit. I have 3 boys that I'm almost positive about. I have one female for sure. I'll be sure to post the picture of the questionable chick. She has a more developed comb then the female, but much less than the males. I was really hoping for at least 2-3 females out of the bunch, but so it goes.

I'd be curious to your expert opinions on their leg feathering, too. I'm not planning on showing them. I just want to try the breed and have some dark eggs in my cartons. [​IMG] I would like to learn more about the standards for the breed regardless.

So many chicken breeds........so little $$, space, and time! LOL

Stacie [​IMG]

P.S. Please excuse my missing "S" on the end of "maran" in the thread title.

9. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    The amount of leg feathering does not indicate the gender of the bird. They should have feathered shanks, but sometimes a clean legged or sparsely feather shanked bird happens.
    Photos of the chicks would help determine gender, at this age they should be relatively easy to sex. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by