Black Copper Marans, at 17 weeks should the gender be apparent?

LavendarFeather

Songster
7 Years
May 24, 2012
I bought two BCM pullets at 11 or 12 weeks of age. They are culls from a local breeder. I chose two that looked different from each other (one had much more feathering on its legs and a bit more copper).

The larger bird with the fluffier legs does weird things. At first, she would pull feathers out of the other bird. Then last week I caught her on top of a smaller bird, and it was screaming. I called a friend who said that was just what roosters do. So now I'm wondering--by this age, shouldn't it be obvious? Her tail is longer and droopier than the other girl's, but she does not have pointy saddle feathers, and her comb seems normal for a female her age and breed.

Opinions? Thank you in advance!
In the first picture, she's the one in the back.

Thanks! I thought so too, but was confused by her behavior. Plus she was so bigger than the other, but the breeder had some birds that were 11 weeks and some that were 12, so it's possible I got one of each. I tried to pick two that would be easy to tell apart, so I could name them.

Oh--just saw your comments about the behavior. That makes sense, too. Certainly dogs do equivalent things to establish pack order.

Last edited:
Sometimes when the hormones start flowing they can get a bit cranky. Like teenage girls!!
big_smile.png
My 4 mo Buff Orp pullet went from being an easy going sweetie to Miss Bossy Britches, and just today the SLWyandotte started tormenting my EE. I let them out to run around and blow off steam, and that seems to help.

LOL, they really do have a ton of personality, don't they? I've got three that are getting close to the age they could start laying, and two of the three are pretty moody and short-tempered, just like what you're describing.

Thanks All! I bought them as pullets, at 11 weeks, and could have taken them back if they turned out to be cockerels. I just got nervous because one is so much larger, and then she was playing prison matron with a little silkie mix pullet, and I panicked! had the soup pot out and everything...(just kidding, I would have exchanged him for a her).

Thanks All! I bought them as pullets, at 11 weeks, and could have taken them back if they turned out to be cockerels. I just got nervous because one is so much larger, and then she was playing prison matron with a little silkie mix pullet, and I panicked! had the soup pot out and everything...(just kidding, I would have exchanged him for a her).
gig.gif
Thank you for the chuckles!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom