Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Hi everyone! I'm wondering if anyone can answer a few questions I have about my breeding set up.

(Hopefully) for simplicity, I'm going to separate my hens and keep my roosters together this year for breeding. The roosters happily live together in the same coop, and I don't think that would be the case if I separate them for a few months into separate coops for breeding.

SO -- how often do I need to put the roosters in with the hens to keep a good rate of fertility? One will have 2 hens and the other will have 3-4.

Thanks!

Once you mate your hens they retain the sperm for up to 3 weeks. You can check fertility in the eggs by looking for a bullseye in the yolk when you fry up the eggs. I would leave the hens in the pen for several days, don't expect them to lay while they are in there as they may be too stressed by the change in housing. Would not recommend you put one hen in there with many males as the poor thing will be so miserable from those roosters treading on her. Maybe cover her back with a hen saver to salvage her pretty back feathers.

Hi everyone! I'm wondering if anyone can answer a few questions I have about my breeding set up.

(Hopefully) for simplicity, I'm going to separate my hens and keep my roosters together this year for breeding. The roosters happily live together in the same coop, and I don't think that would be the case if I separate them for a few months into separate coops for breeding.

SO -- how often do I need to put the roosters in with the hens to keep a good rate of fertility? One will have 2 hens and the other will have 3-4.

Thanks!

Typically I see fertility a week or 2 after I remove a roo..... seldom see it more than a week.

I am not sure but I would think your fertility would be spotty at best with this method. I usually have to wait a few days maybe a week to get fertile eggs from a new roo.... the girls need to get used to him and he will be going to their territory.... not his. After about a week eggs are usually fertile.... I have never used this method you are talking about so not sure it will work.... or really what the point is.

Once you mate your hens they retain the sperm for up to 3 weeks. You can check fertility in the eggs by looking for a bullseye in the yolk when you fry up the eggs. I would leave the hens in the pen for several days, don't expect them to lay while they are in there as they may be too stressed by the change in housing. Would not recommend you put one hen in there with many males as the poor thing will be so miserable from those roosters treading on her. Maybe cover her back with a hen saver to salvage her pretty back feathers.
Does it take 3 weeks to clear their system and start a new cycle?

I always heard that it would take 2 weeks, not 3. I'm new to breeding, and separated my flocks 2 weeks ago... Just want to make sure if I can hatch my eggs as purebred from now on, or if I should wait another week.

Thanks!

It's certainly not ideal, but it may be a way I can work with my small space and my husband's limit to coops. :)

I have two coops, but work with 2 breeds. All of my chickens are currently in the one coop, and that has been SO much easier this winter. The 2 males get along well because they were raised together, but they started to fight after being separated a few days this winter. It's ok now, but If I split the breeds between the two coops I know I won't be able to keep the entire flock in one coop again.

This is a big deal because I need to use that second coop to brood turkeys in a few months, and finally raise meat chickens in the fall. It works last year because we culled our mean rooster from the 2nd coop after breeding season, and combined the hens, with no other rooster.

So, I'm hoping that by only separating some of the hens and putting the males in with them during the day, that I can pull this off. They're already used to that coop and it's in the same yard. I'd just divide the yard with fence. All of the chickens are already familiar with one another, too.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. It won't be the end of the world....just the end of guaranteeing purebred hatches from my flock.

It's certainly not ideal, but it may be a way I can work with my small space and my husband's limit to coops. :)

I have two coops, but work with 2 breeds. All of my chickens are currently in the one coop, and that has been SO much easier this winter. The 2 males get along well because they were raised together, but they started to fight after being separated a few days this winter. It's ok now, but If I split the breeds between the two coops I know I won't be able to keep the entire flock in one coop again.

This is a big deal because I need to use that second coop to brood turkeys in a few months, and finally raise meat chickens in the fall. It works last year because we culled our mean rooster from the 2nd coop after breeding season, and combined the hens, with no other rooster.

So, I'm hoping that by only separating some of the hens and putting the males in with them during the day, that I can pull this off. They're already used to that coop and it's in the same yard. I'd just divide the yard with fence. All of the chickens are already familiar with one another, too.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. It won't be the end of the world....just the end of guaranteeing purebred hatches from my flock.
Some who single mate have several hens in their own small pen. The Cock to be used gets put in with each hen for a day or 1/2 day each week depending on the number of hens to be bred. With several hens in a pen together, it may take longer to get them bred and the longer you have your boys separated the more chance you take of fighting when you put them together again.

You are right, you will just have to try and see how it works :)

Aloha,

I have a similar situation. I cannot keep roosters at my house. So my uncle keeps them for me. They were raised with the hens but left after crowing. I hope to bring them back when they are old enough. The pullets just started laying. But theyʻll have to learn how to do it still and it might take a while, but they canʻt sleep over. And then thereʻs Henny Lō the mean ***** Plymouth Rock, who has bullied them their whole lives. My uncle doesnʻt feed them enough so theyʻre kind of light too. Oh the challenges...

Aloha, Puhi

Back
Top Bottom