Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Don, Brian has chics in the inc for me. My plan is to bred best brother sister pair and single mate and line breed from there. Then cull and cull some more. Thank you so much, Don, for all of your help you are a true friend. Tom

I finally got eggs!

Update on our troublemaker king titan:
He's doing MUCH better separated from the girls & seems the girls are better as well-not so stressed. He gets the same treats as the girls & plenty of attention. I really wanted BCM/ EE combination of chicks (would the chicks lay olive eggs? Brown over blue) of course it depends on what happens in the near future.

Update on our troublemaker king titan:
He's doing MUCH better separated from the girls & seems the girls are better as well-not so stressed. He gets the same treats as the girls & plenty of attention. I really wanted BCM/ EE combination of chicks (would the chicks lay olive eggs? Brown over blue) of course it depends on what happens in the near future.

Both of these might prove useful to you.

Both of these might prove useful to you.
so could it be successful to put dark brown layer (him) over EE (teal color eggs) to get olive eggers. I believe EE are considered blue family layers? Not sure when I'd start hatching as this is 1st yr with chickens & I'dI'd have to research more-like how to ensure most pullets over accidental roos- But this is where I want to get to sometime

so could it be successful to put dark brown layer (him) over EE (teal color eggs) to get olive eggers. I believe EE are considered blue family layers? Not sure when I'd start hatching as this is 1st yr with chickens & I'dI'd have to research more-like how to ensure most pullets over accidental roos-
But this is where I want to get to sometime

They hatch how they hatch, you can't ensure that you won't get any boys in a hatch.

The Dark layer X EE will work just fine.

Hatching chickens never yields "accidental roos", it just yields a healthy mix (usually) of both sexes to insure it's species survival.
I have always had luck putting the cockerels up for sale with 1 or 2 sisters as a trio, I have also had luck giving away/butchering the extras.

I slightly disagree with the caveat of user error. To clarify, there was a time when I would get ~80% male. And I actually posted on BYC with my befuddlement. Genetically there is nothing, and it falls under the general probability theory when you give or take for parental attributes. Our hypothesis however was that our high % of male gender Chick's was due to incubation error on our part, specifically humidity. We posited that only the male's were strong enough to break out while the females fully formed died. This is all speculation and it will be interesting to examine the gender ratios we got for a recent large hatch with over 60℅ hatch rate on shipped eggs (tx to ny). It is notable that in hatches with high% males, the hatch rate was only 33% with eggs I picked up personally from CT or my own hens. In those instances probability of males was against the general idea of a 50/50 chance in a remarkable way.

here are some recent pics of my guys...i have a group of babies and teens ( from different breeders tho) yes there is a birchen pair on the right in the one pic

hen with odd looking eye that i will not keep besides cooking

:) friendly rooster

and the babies...

..my current rooster (not father of birds in pics)

super hard to keep up with this thread lol :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom