Black Copper Marans - Time progression of sexing - UPDATED with WEEKs #1-3 PICTURES

Pics
What you have going on is what is commonly known as "Brachydactyly Mutation." Without getting too far into nerdy details, it is caused by a recessive feathered change gene (Pti-1 for Langshans or Marans). Here is an excellent site dealing with mutaions.

http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations2.html

Do not breed birds having this trait. Missing toenails can also the first sign of line exhaustion.

My birds are strictly for laying/backyard pets, so there'll be no gene pool additions from over here.

Thanks for that info/resource! Really fascinating stuff.

My two had very different tails at that age. They both definitely *had* tails... it's just that one was longer and pointier and the other was more broad and full; more feathers it seemed.

I picked up four BCM chicks who are now approximately 2 weeks old. I'm worried at least 3 are Roos. What do you think? Too early to tell?

I picked up four BCM chicks who are now approximately 2 weeks old. I'm worried at least 3 are Roos. What do you think? Too early to tell?

The very first sure sign on my little BCM roo was tiny wattles and a slightly pink comb, right about that age. The only one of yours that may be getting wattles is the little dark-faced guy in the second picture.

Edited to add - actually the one in the fourth picture may have tiny wattles as well. Do you have more of a profile shot of that one?

Last edited:
Chick #1-

Chick #2-

Chick #3-

Chick #4-

I'd say #2 is almost certainly a roo. Little pink wattles and comb just like mine at that age. #4 looks very pullety. #1 and #3 have little wattles, but no pink yet. Fingers crossed for them.

I have four eggs hatching today, if all goes well. Including another BCM. I'll be back on the rooster coaster soon!

I'd say #2 is almost certainly a roo. Little pink wattles and comb just like mine at that age. #4 looks very pullety. #1 and #3 have little wattles, but no pink yet. Fingers crossed for them.

I have four eggs hatching today, if all goes well. Including another BCM. I'll be back on the rooster coaster soon!
I was going to say pretty much the same thing. I hatched 5 BCM 2 weeks ago and I'm afraid 3-4 of them may be roos.

Back
Top Bottom