Black Copper Marans - Time progression of sexing - UPDATED with WEEKs #1-3 PICTURES

Pics
Do you have a recent picture? Did he ever develop coloring?
He's not as colorful as David, but I think all his neck and saddle feathers aren't in yet. He has adorable feathery feet, and the cutest melodic voice. He talks a lot even when he's not crowing, and he always lets the girls know when a cat or dog wanders too close by. He's still good buddies with his incubator mate Louie, and both of them are sweet with the hens. I love having both of them in the flock.

Last edited:
Wow. He's a cutie pie! I love how Louie is always lurking in the back! I heard they're not fully developed until a year old! Your Patrick's tail feathers are way more developed than David's! AND my David only has one set of Tiny feet Feathers.

Wow. He's a cutie pie! I love how Louie is always lurking in the back! I heard they're not fully developed until a year old! Your Patrick's tail feathers are way more developed than David's! AND my David only has one set of Tiny feet Feathers.
Yep! Louie is totally Patrick's sidekick. Always backing him up while Patrick takes the lead. Patrick has more of a tenor crow with Louie hitting the low notes, so we have some nice duets.

I hope they keep getting along.

Patrick had feathery feet from day one. I guess some BCMs have a lot and some not so much.

I now also have one nine week old rooster and three little pullets - as you predicted Violet the Barnevelder became Vinnie. The little ones plus my two big boys and my four laying hens makes a total of three roos and seven hens. Theoretically that's too many roosters per hen, but for now everyone seems quite content!

Yep! Louie is totally Patrick's sidekick. Always backing him up while Patrick takes the lead. Patrick has more of a tenor crow with Louie hitting the low notes, so we have some nice duets.

I hope they keep getting along.

Patrick had feathery feet from day one. I guess some BCMs have a lot and some not so much.

I now also have one nine week old rooster and three little pullets - as you predicted Violet the Barnevelder became Vinnie. The little ones plus my two big boys and my four laying hens makes a total of three roos and seven hens. Theoretically that's too many roosters per hen, but for now everyone seems quite content!

I saw at the breeder than bcm roos tolerate each other, especially if grown together. I have a coop with 3 boys and 14 girls. 4 girls are sick and separated so my 3 boys stay with 10 girls only. they argue when it comes to mating but they don't try to kill each other. the only problem is overmating. I got some young girls but they still stay in a separate coop till they grow up a bit.

I heard the same thing about FCBM roosters...they are supposedly more mindful of each other...
Louis is an American Bresse. When he reached maturity he started acting a little aggressive toward the hens and the babies, but Patrick is SO gentle toward everyone, and he has established himself as alpha and now Louis is following his lead.

Patrick has never been the least bit aggressive toward the hens or babies or the other roosters, and he will come right up to me for snuggles. I love him.

I'm happy I hatched some hens too! I have room for a few more, especially with all these roos. Thinking of buying another BCM pullet and maybe a Barnevelder or another Cream Legbar too. I love having enough delicious eggs to share, and it will be so fun to have a colorful assortment!

The addiction is real! I bought 3 golden sex links pullets on impulse..I didn't even have a coop or food! Then a month later, I impulsively bought 3 Marans chicks.Then a week ago I bought a 10 week old Olive Egger pullet (same dad as the Marans- mom is a cream legbar). She looks goofy. I shouldn't have just bought ONE pullet and now I am on a mission to find a true Ameraucana so I can have blue eggs. Her name is BeepBeep...!

The addiction is real! I bought 3 golden sex links pullets on impulse..I didn't even have a coop or food! Then a month later, I impulsively bought 3 Marans chicks.Then a week ago I bought a 10 week old Olive Egger pullet (same dad as the Marans- mom is a cream legbar). She looks goofy. I shouldn't have just bought ONE pullet and now I am on a mission to find a true Ameraucana so I can have blue eggs. Her name is BeepBeep...!
BeepBeep! She is SO cute! One of my baby pullets is a cream legbar. So excited for her to start laying.

My drive to obtain a fancy assorted egg basket is somewhat insane, by my own standards. I'm normally never so obsessive about things.

The addiction is totally real. They call it chicken math. It's the kind of math that causes an impulse buy of two chicks at the feed store to turn into a flock of a couple dozen chickens, a few geese, plus several baby goats. Hopefully you're in an urban enough setting that you will be able to keep a lid on it.

Out here it's a real danger. Luckily I know for a fact that my fencing isn't in good enough shape for goats.

Back
Top Bottom