Black Copper Marans - Time progression of sexing - UPDATED with WEEKs #1-3 PICTURES

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenguysmom, Jun 8, 2012.

1. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

How much humidity do they need? more or less? I did noticed my hatching batch of bcms took a little longer than my other hatchings

2. keith92

keith92 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2014
    iowa
    for a successful hatch don't add water till the 19th day.

3. gapey

gapey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    I've got a couple black copper maran chicks and am doing some progression pics on them too. They are one week old today. They are supposed to be pullets so we'll see. They are growing crazy fast, much faster than my easter eggers of the same age.

[​IMG][​IMG]

EvansMeXo likes this.
  4. gapey

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    Here they are at 2 weeks old. One has a lot more copper than the other.

[​IMG]

EvansMeXo likes this.
  5. gapey

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    3 Weeks old today. They've lost most of their white breasts. I noticed while taking pics today that one of Molly's toes is turned slightly. Never noticed it before but looking back at old pics it seems to have always been that way.

[​IMG]

EvansMeXo likes this.
  6. gapey

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    My BCM's are now 4 weeks old and getting chubby. Still hoping they are both girls.

[​IMG]

RingAroundTheRosie and EvansMeXo like this.
  7. Bazy

Bazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Parker, Texas
    Are my eyes playing tricks, or does Molly look like she has partridge patterned feathers? Did you say they were both Black Copper Marans? they are very pretty, by the way, and your pictures are very good!!

RingAroundTheRosie likes this.
  8. gapey

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    Yes both are supposed to be black copper marans. Even if they aren't traditional colored I think they are pretty. I especially am liking Molly's coloring. I enjoy unique colored birds. I just hope they lay me some dark brown eggs as that was why I got them, I didn't have any intention of breeding them.

I wasn't sure what partridge pattern was so I just looked it up and I think you are right. I was taking a close look at some of her feathers yesterday and I know at least some of them have that pattern. Good eye! I'll be taking their 5 week photos on Thursday and will post them here. There can't be too many partridge patterned black copper marans out there huh?

9. Bazy

Bazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Parker, Texas
    Undoubtedly she is VERY pretty! She almost has the body shape of an English Partridge Orpington.

I think there may be some project birds out there, but I guess it would depend on where you got the chicks from as to if that might be a possibility. Chicks can look VERY much alike when first hatched so someone could have made a mistake. I guess you will know when she lays. I liked to never figured out if my pullet was langshan or marans! and that was embarrassing because I hatched them myself!

Her feathers are so pretty, who cares what color her eggs are anyway? ;)

10. gapey

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    Here's a close up phone pic of some of her neck feathers. They have a black center and then edges are copper. Some have copper in the center then black around that and then copper again on the edges.

I just came across this pic of a BCM and it looks very much like mine: http://cccorns.com/freepics/Hurley/BlackCopperMarans.jpg

Well I got them from a local farm who got them from a breeder who claims they originated from Bev Davis and Wade Jeane lines. Weird that the two would be so different in color if they came from the same breeder.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by