Black Diamond Sand

redblack10

Songster
10 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Iowa
Has anyone used "Black Diamond Sand" in your coop? I am having a hard time locating a river sand or natural sand that is not based with silica. The online bag says "Low Free Silica". Actually, I have used play sand with no problems whatsoever, but I have read that the silica content is not good.

Have you called any landscaping or excavation material places?

I had my washed river sand delivered on a dump truck from a place that also does mulch, compost, bark, and that type of stuff.

I like to use SEMI deep litter method... in other words, build it up with lots of natural materials like the forest floor. I use grass clippings, used shavings, hay, leaves, pine needles... adding some fresh stuff all the time because it is a process to keep it built up.

I say semi... because I remove whatever droppings I can. It may not be needed, but my choice.

I have sand, and use it as a base. But whenever the rain came the edges of my run stunk something awful. Since building up the more natural sponge (springy) like forest floor, NO smell around the edges when it rains... and I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so that can be a lot.

The sand was like a barren waste land with lots of dry poo dust floating around if you try to use the kitty litter scooper so many are fond of. There is no invite for beneficial bacteria in a barren waste land. But the semi deep litter invites good bacteria and bugs to come thrive and break down the organics. The sand in my coop got a layer of hay, mostly to soften the landing of birds coming off roost. But eventually sand becomes just a bunch of nasty dried out poo flecks.

This is of course MY take and suggestion. I realize we all have different environments and set ups. But I cannot recommend sand, even though my initial research pointed me that direction and I spent probably $150 on it.

Good luck finding what you really like and works really for you! :fl

Have you called any landscaping or excavation material places?

I had my washed river sand delivered on a dump truck from a place that also does mulch, compost, bark, and that type of stuff.

I like to use SEMI deep litter method... in other words, build it up with lots of natural materials like the forest floor. I use grass clippings, used shavings, hay, leaves, pine needles... adding some fresh stuff all the time because it is a process to keep it built up.

I say semi... because I remove whatever droppings I can. It may not be needed, but my choice.

I have sand, and use it as a base. But whenever the rain came the edges of my run stunk something awful. Since building up the more natural sponge (springy) like forest floor, NO smell around the edges when it rains... and I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so that can be a lot.

The sand was like a barren waste land with lots of dry poo dust floating around if you try to use the kitty litter scooper so many are fond of. There is no invite for beneficial bacteria in a barren waste land. But the semi deep litter invites good bacteria and bugs to come thrive and break down the organics. The sand in my coop got a layer of hay, mostly to soften the landing of birds coming off roost. But eventually sand becomes just a bunch of nasty dried out poo flecks.

This is of course MY take and suggestion. I realize we all have different environments and set ups. But I cannot recommend sand, even though my initial research pointed me that direction and I spent probably $150 on it.

Good luck finding what you really like and works really for you! :fl

Thank you for your great explanation. My girls (and 2 guys) free range all day, so I don't have a "run". I use sand inside, under their roosts and on the ground. With daily scooping -- no odor, no flies, and it does not get wet. I started with sand, after interning at a zoo, and seeing how easy it was to keep clean. I will pursue some landscaping places for washed river sand, which is what I really want.

I have been to Seattle once in my life - loved it and would like to return to visit more areas and stay longer!

With daily scooping -- no odor, no flies, and it does not get wet.
Ya... well the sand does absorb the moisture that dries and eventually becomes part of the dust and sand just becomes a used litter box... to ME.

My kids spend most the time out doors as well. I use droppings board, that used to have sand but its less dusty to scoop poop with a flat shovel.... and ya I guess I'm talking about a LOT of birds. It just got to be too much time spent sifting poo dust for me. Now I do it once a week or maybe even two depending on weather and stock density.

I have never been to Seattle yet. Nor do I care about the city, but I do look forward to hiking some of their local nature trails! But my hubby is surely wanting to try some restaurants to. :cool:

I have volunteered at zoo and wildlife rehab... Talk about hard work. :love I do remember them using sand... but stock numbers were always low and cleaning usually included some hosing down when changing the water that will never happen inside my coop to wash the poo juice that stays behind out. :confused:

Links to other threads... sorry if you have to read my input again...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/any-long-term-1yr-sand-users-in-run-have-input.1250073/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sand-as-litter.1209365/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/using-sand-in-chicken-run-yes-or-no.1246404/

Just skim them if ya want to see some input from other users of sand. Maybe some useful tips or suggestions. :fl I know we all have different set ups.... I did like the rice hulls mentioned in one. Like them a lot actually. :)

Back
Top Bottom