Black Egg yolk + Bad Smell

Reroreor

Hatching
Aug 30, 2020
Dad cracked an egg for lunch and out came this egg with a black Yolk and horrible smell.
Is this because of an infection? If you know about this please tell me what you know.
20200830_142121.jpg
20200830_143751.jpg

You get a bad egg now and then. This is one of the reasons we should crack each egg into a small bowl before adding it to a batch for cooking.

How old was the egg and how had it been stored?

I always suspected that the bad eggs I had from my in-town flock had been ones that started to be incubated before I collected them (Noodle, my more persistent broody, was an expert at hiding eggs while I was trying to collect them).

You get a bad egg now and then. This is one of the reasons we should crack each egg into a small bowl before adding it to a batch for cooking.

How old was the egg and how had it been stored?

I always suspected that the bad eggs I had from my in-town flock had been ones that started to be incubated before I collected them (Noodle, my more persistent broody, was an expert at hiding eggs while I was trying to collect them).

I can't be sure but it was possibly between 15-20 days old. As for how the egg was stored, we keep them in the hall in egg boxes (we live in the UK so we don't refrigerate them).

I can't be sure but it was possibly between 15-20 days old. As for how the egg was stored, we keep them in the hall in egg boxes (we live in the UK so we don't refrigerate them).

That's a pretty long time to store an egg. It probably had some imperfection in it that let bacteria in to grow. You're lucky it didn't explode and spread the yuck over all the other eggs. :)

That's a pretty long time to store an egg. It probably had some imperfection in it that let bacteria in to grow. You're lucky it didn't explode and spread the yuck over all the other eggs. :)
Ditto Dat!
Egg probably had a crack and bacteria got inside.

As for how the egg was stored, we keep them in the hall in egg boxes (we live in the UK so we don't refrigerate them).
I don't refrigerate mine either.
How warm is it in the storage area?
Was egg particularly 'dirty' on the outside?

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1598965852599.png

Dad cracked an egg for lunch and out came this egg with a black Yolk and horrible smell.
Is this because of an infection? If you know about this please tell me what you know.
View attachment 2312938View attachment 2312941

Hello
Did you find an answer?
I had one today, the same, and it absolutely stinks!
The kitchen needs a clean out!
The egg was fresh, only a couple of days old.
Thank you
Ed

Hello
Did you find an answer?
I had one today, the same, and it absolutely stinks!
The kitchen needs a clean out!
The egg was fresh, only a couple of days old.
Thank you
Ed

Are you sure it was only 2 days old -could it have been laid a few days before you collected it?

Again, probably bacteria setting in.

Back
Top Bottom