Black eggs?

Sinister

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 13, 2012
I have 3 cambells, a pekin and a black and white swedish. This month I started getting eggs, two a day for the most part. They are chicken egg sized, one tends to be slightly bigger, but not much. Both are a light pink in color. I figured it was the cambells laying since the pekin should be a bit bigger. I didn't really give it much thought though, as I was just happy to get the eggs.

Now I am getting 3 a day and one is black. It's the same size as the larger pink one, but it is almost completely dark black when I pick it up. When I wash it to get the mud off, it washes out to a charcoal grey in color. I had heard of different colored eggs before, but never black ones. We have gotten two black ones so far. I assume its the swedish laying, but not really sure.

I'll try to get some picture tomorrow morning of before and after washing.

Well i know that pekin lay a large white egg.So the pink eggs cant be coming from her.
The only duck ive ever heard of laying a black egg are Cayuga.Are you suree yours may not be a mix of them? Or maybe Swedish lay black eggs let me read up on that.

Ok read up on a few sites.The Swedish lay white eggs with the occastional blue,green,gray tint.

Last edited:
Thanks for finding that out.

I guess you could call them grey. My kids are insisting they are dark green, but I dont see it. They look black to me.

I wanted another swedish, and know I know which eggs are hers.

It makes the egg carton more interesting that's for sure.

Nope, no chickens. Here is a picture, the other two are from the khakis. I forgot to take one before washing though....

It could very well be a Swedish some hens will lay an egg with a dark gray coating like this when they start up. Usually will fade from the eggs as they lay more eggs.

Back
Top Bottom