Black freckles on comb (not blood)

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
I noticed a couple weeks ago that my Young cockerel has faint black specks or freckles on his comb. I was curious about it but forgot to ask. Then today I discovered them on my rooster, too. (Who happens to be this boy’s daddy). Is it something to be concerned about, or just coloration?
IMG_9823.jpeg

IMG_0019.jpeg

If it matters, the young cockerel is about 6-7 weeks in this picture. His mom is a lavender Orpington. The rooster is an Orpington mixed with Rhode Island Blue.

One of my Orpington hens had this. I tried to wash it off, without success. checked for mites and such, but found none. Over time it seemed to come and go. I never did find a cause or treatment. My best guess is bruising.

I have a couple roosters that have similar but they’re part ayam cemani and started with a black comb that turned red with age.
Thats interesting. This rooster also produced a pullet with a primarily black comb (with no black-combed breeds involved). I wonder if my rooster could carry a gene that makes black combs…? His parents are hatchery birds so anything is possible.

Attachments

• IMG_9997.jpeg
    IMG_9997.jpeg
    447.8 KB · Views: 6
One of my Orpington hens had this. I tried to wash it off, without success. checked for mites and such, but found none. Over time it seemed to come and go. I never did find a cause or treatment. My best guess is bruising.
I can’t figure out if these freckles have always been there or if they’ve just shown up recently. They don’t stand out, so it’s hard to know.

I found this:

Melanosis: The black spots on a chicken's comb are often the result of a harmless condition known as melanosis. Melanosis is caused by the deposition of pigment, or melanin, in the skin cells of the comb. This can happen for a variety of reasons, including exposure to sunlight, genetics, and hormonal changes.
Good job. I couldn’t find anything other than fighting/blood and fowl pox as I Googled it. This seems like the most logical explanation.

Back
Top Bottom